Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Last night I just to delivery of a 1999 E300D. What an awesome car!
I have few questions on the 1999 E300D. The manual states that you can go over 10,000 miles before oil change. That scares me, especially for diesel engine. I typically change oil in any engine at 3000-4000 miles. Is it really legitimate to do this?
I live in northwest Ohio where the temperature has quite a range throughout the year. What weight of oil is recommended for this engine? The manual does not list the weight.
I have not really studied the car under the hood yet. Where is the oil filter on this model? Is it a cartridge similar to my 1985 300?
Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom.
Nate

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi: I (and many others) use Mobil1 0W40. The 0W40 is different than any other mobil1. Supposedy this is better than 15W50- It's their Euro spec oil and the only Mobil1 to meet some newer manufactures requirements. I get mine at walmart and I've only found it in quarts although some have said they found it in the 5 qt jugs. You need 9 for a oil and filter change. Yes the filter is up top and is a cartridge type- you cant miss it on the rear driver side of the engine. MB introduced their FSS (flexible service system-I think) in 98 (could have been a year or two earlier but I'd have to look it up). In the gassers it uses a dielectric measurer to check the resistance of the oil, which increases as it gets contaminated- this and keeping track of engine temp and cold starts determine the change period. The diesel doesn't have the resistance measuring system, only the other paramaters that the CPU uses. It lets us go about 13K miles on our 98 E300 before changes. I change ours in the middle at around 6500 as it really gets dirty. I have 2 audis that have 10K scheduled service and with synthetic I have gone the 10K and feel OK. The oil looks almost brand new at the change. With the early FSS MB was using dino oil and had some sludge problems. They sent everone a $35 coupon for a service, stated that synthetic must be use for the FSS intervals, and gauranteed the engines agains any damage due to sludge buildup or oil problems for I think 150K miles (again I'd have to dig through my papers). With 9 qts of good synthetic oil in there I would not change oil more than then at half your FSS interval, which should be maybe 6000 miles. If you push the lower left instrument button twice quickly it should tell you how many miles to next service. I read that some fleet trucks go 100K miles between changes using oil analysis at periodic intervals. Of course these engines may have 25 quarts of oil in them!

Have fun, Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts