Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I'm new to these forums because....I bought a benz! Wahoo.

And I've already taken it out autocrossing (fun fun fun).

Well, I bought it used; its a 2000 C230K 4 door...58,000 miles.

It seems to run fine but the mileage is very poor, combined avg only 19mpg! This on chevron supreme...what are others getting out of this car?

Also I have occasionally seen the Check Engine Light come on....but then it goes off....

I have read about "resetting" the engine and/or transmission settings....does this help with the mileage?

Is there a likelihood that one of my O2 or MAS sensors if flaking out?

If I wanted to read the OBD codes myself where is the socket?

Schnitzel

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It is very likely you have an O2 sensor on it's way out. When the light comes on and off like that, it is a pretty good indication. This is not in any way a substitution for real diagnostic testing though. The airmass sensors are also pretty notorious on all MB models from about '95 on.

The diagnostic port on your vehicle in a 38 pin round connector in the engine compartment up near the firewall on the passenger's side.

Resetting your engine/trans adaptations won't really do much for you. It's best to let them be unless a part (ex. MAF) is replaced that affects them directly.

Congrats on the new ride. Should be a lot of fun for you over the next few years. I'd recommend doing the 60K service stuff now if you don't have a record of it being performed (as a side note for those who want to be over analytical, I am fully awar it's a flex service vehicle, but the 60K service is ingrained into my head, and as part of conventional automtive wisdom, should be done regardless of some silly scheduled maintenance program). Specifically, get some new plugs, a fuel filter, a cabin filter, etc. Pays off in spades. You should get a little of your mileage back from that as well. All real easy DIY projects. If you need any specific instruction, let me know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stop buy an auto parts store & have them check the code on your engine. Many of the larger chjain shops will do this for free. That way you can be certain what the problem is.

If it is the O2 sensor, replace both of them at the same time, not just the one that is failing, otherwise the new one will kill the older one in a matter of minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts