Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2000 CLK320 Cabrio and I have a question about the lights. Seems weird to me but hopefully we do not have an electrical problem.

There are 3 light bulbs in the tail lights. When we apply the brakes the smallest light bulb closest to the center lights up on the right side but not the left. I swapped the bulbs around and same thing (did not light up on the left. Also when putting on the brakes the front side marker light on the right and the fog light on the right light up. Did not do it on the left. Are these lights in the front supposed to come on when the brakes are applied???? The attached pictures show the lights I am referring to.
We get a light malfunction warning on the dash and I finally figured out which light was out.
Kind of hard to explain but hope someone can help.
Thanks
Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
WOW! You definately are having issues! When you hit the brakes on your particular car, only the lower, outer bulb should light up on the tail lights and 3rd brake light. That's it. The fact that hitting the brakes lights up any lights on the front boggles the mind. First things first, which I doubt is your problem, check all the bulbs and fuses. Make sure all the lights have a good bulb, and the proper bulb. All the light fuses should be on the left side of the dash next to the light knob behind the panel on the left side, when the door is open. I'd check all those fuses and make sure they're all good and of the proper amperage rating. If that doesn't turn anything up, then I'd get it diagnosed properly. My guess would be possibly a version coding issue of one of the modules (Front SAM or Rear SAM, or even EIS). Being that you just bought the vehicle, if from a dealership, I'd find a way to get them to take care of it. Sounds to me like the car had the issue before they even sold it to you but didn't want to bother trying to repair it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zewerr said:
WOW! You definately are having issues! When you hit the brakes on your particular car, only the lower, outer bulb should light up on the tail lights and 3rd brake light. That's it. The fact that hitting the brakes lights up any lights on the front boggles the mind.
Exactly what I thought. Time to start digging. I'd take it to the dealership but they are 2 hours away. If I can't figure it out I will definitely be calling them. Thanks for the tips and help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Go to the dealership, theres a recalll on those taillamps, theyll replace them with updated ones for free. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts