Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking to buy this S500 it has 128k on dash but it needs a coolant fan and secondary air pump which is for emissions. How much should I pay for it? The body has some rust spots but not to bad and the interior is immaculate condition and it needs tires. I’m wondering how much do you think it’s worth?

·
Registered
99 Posts
My go-to is the internet and see what that model/year is selling for across the nation and try to get a feel for price considering the mileage and overall condition. Usually they run and have good tires so also try to subtract the cost of tires, fan etc off the cost. Since you're the one doing the work, and taking somewhat of a risk here, the cost should reflect that. Since they haven't fixed it I'd assume they either can't afford it or they have $ but are just not interested in the hassle of fixing it. If the latter I'd low-ball them. I also pay attention to omens which I very much believe in. Like something happening to prevent me from going to see the car or get the $. I'll think to myself it's as if someone/thing is trying to tell me something. When I ignore those and fight to get or do what I want, I usually regret it. Maybe crazy talk but for some reason I felt compelled to tell you that, which may be an omen to tell you to watch for omens?
The good interior always surprises me with MB. My very first one I bought to fix and sell because it was super cheap thanks to the female driver who overheated it. Classic case of dash light comes on, it starts losing power, but she simply gives it more gas to continue driving. Not the first deal I've scored due to women doing that... Anyway, it had 156k and the outside looked pretty much new but the inside looked showroom. The quality overall got me hooked and is why I drive MB since. So after a couple hundy in repairs I kept it. It was a classic case of the owner just wanting it to go away so I paid 3200 and if it had been working it was worth ~10k. Now that I think about it I don't believe I've seen one with an interior that was less that great. Some wood trim pieces curl and crack to some degree, which I imagine is related to hours in the sun, but otherwise they're amazing. Makes me wonder, after all these decades, can't they make wood trim that doesn't curl and/or crack? My current car is immaculate except for a hairline crack across the ashtray lid, which no doubt gets the most sun.
Best of luck, but also keep your eyes peeled for other potentials :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My go-to is the internet and see what that model/year is selling for across the nation and try to get a feel for price considering the mileage and overall condition. Usually they run and have good tires so also try to subtract the cost of tires, fan etc off the cost. Since you're the one doing the work, and taking somewhat of a risk here, the cost should reflect that. Since they haven't fixed it I'd assume they either can't afford it or they have $ but are just not interested in the hassle of fixing it. If the latter I'd low-ball them. I also pay attention to omens which I very much believe in. Like something happening to prevent me from going to see the car or get the $. I'll think to myself it's as if someone/thing is trying to tell me something. When I ignore those and fight to get or do what I want, I usually regret it. Maybe crazy talk but for some reason I felt compelled to tell you that, which may be an omen to tell you to watch for omens?
The good interior always surprises me with MB. My very first one I bought to fix and sell because it was super cheap thanks to the female driver who overheated it. Classic case of dash light comes on, it starts losing power, but she simply gives it more gas to continue driving. Not the first deal I've scored due to women doing that... Anyway, it had 156k and the outside looked pretty much new but the inside looked showroom. The quality overall got me hooked and is why I drive MB since. So after a couple hundy in repairs I kept it. It was a classic case of the owner just wanting it to go away so I paid 3200 and if it had been working it was worth ~10k. Now that I think about it I don't believe I've seen one with an interior that was less that great. Some wood trim pieces curl and crack to some degree, which I imagine is related to hours in the sun, but otherwise they're amazing. Makes me wonder, after all these decades, can't they make wood trim that doesn't curl and/or crack? My current car is immaculate except for a hairline crack across the ashtray lid, which no doubt gets the most sun.
Best of luck, but also keep your eyes peeled for other potentials :)
The car has been dealership maintained it’s entire life and only one owner which is an elder gentleman he says he doesn’t want to put the work into it he rather cut his loss and move on which I went to see it and drove it . It doesn’t overheat but the fan takes a bit to engage and the air injection pump needs replaced is all of what MB told him

1 - 3 of 3 Posts