Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 ml320 has an intermittent starting problem. The symptoms are the same every time. The remote will not open the lock, once you manually open the door, the car will not crank. You can turn on the radio and the dome light. This problem seems to happen after a short drive. The Mercedes dealership has been working on this problem for 10,000 miles and cannot figure out how to fix it. The car will crank if you wait an hour or so to try and start it after it doesn't crank. I'm going crazy over this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I could take some wild guesses, but it would be quite simply that, and I doubt it would be all that helpful. I would be interested in taking a look at what they've attempted so far. I'd like to see all the paperwork they've given you, parts replaced, and if they give their customers a copy, the DTC readouts. Armed with this information, I could make an educated assumption that may be of some use to your repair facility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what the paperwork says: can circuit pulled down due to internal fault in eam. tac case number 45173. Performed short test. no specifically applicable dtc's. r&r battery and check positive cable union at firewall, ok. verify power cable connections to interior and underhood fuse blocks. ok. r&r under hood fuse block and aam, remove all fuses and relays to verify connections, ok. te assemble and clear codes. remove fuses abd relays in different configurations to duplicate condition at time of no start condition. noted this resulte in steering position sensor requiring re set radio requesting code called client to verify if these conditions were present. no. called tac as per tac verify aam part number, function test alarm system and siren, abd check harness near bracket above accelerator pedal, no faults were noted, aam confirmed correct by tac. reviewed dtc's of this visit and in file from prior visits. noted can faults in eam (b1040,b1041,b1088,b1089,and b1086) Determined eam pulling can line down and not allowing activation of door locks or any ignition circuits. replace and code eam. r&r LH lower dash panel.
Part number 163 545 54 32 , control unit.

This last repair seemed to fix my car for about 5 months, then it started all over again. Thanks for any info. Also, the entire fuse tray in the engine compartment was replaced due to this problem about 2 months prior to the repair listed above. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Althought the EAM can cause these conditions, it's more likely that either the transponder ring around the ignition switch or the AAM (all activity module) is bad. I'm surprised that TAC (technical assistance center) would not opt to do the AAM as well. I would take it back and have them go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how this works out at the garage. They have the car right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts