Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I had purchased a 2002 C230K in November 2007.I noticed lately that when I try to start the car after several hours-usually in the morning it stumbles before it fully starts the Engine....kinda like a rough idle in the beginning and then the whole day no problems ? I live in California so its never too cold.
I do have an extended warranty on it till 2010/100.000 miles. It has about 40K miles at the moment. There are no malfunctions displayed in the FSS and the next maintenance is in about 4K miles.

Thanx

·
Registered
678 Posts
It kinda sounds like the beginning symptoms of excessive carbon build up and/or worn valve guides. I'm guessing it's probably #2, which is quite common on your engine. Is your extended warrany through MB, or is it an aftermarket warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an aftermarket "INTERSTATE"-it was transfered when I bought the car-so should I take it in to the Dealership for a check up ???

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 1999 c230 K with the problem also starting up hard/stumbling at idle. My car has 145,000 miles on it and has had very few problems until now...of course.
I am not using any oil though. Shouldn't I be using oil and getting some smoke after the stumble is over if it is my valve guides? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Now that I've read this topic a second time, I have to take back what I originally said. For some reason in my mind, I was thinking that the OP had a C230K with an M271 engine, but 271's did not come around until 2003. The OP should actually have an M111 engine, as well as you, snowisgr8.

Now I have to correct myself, it's very uncommon for an M111 engine to have worn valve guides. These engines are pretty robust, internally. This problem can still be caused by excessive carbon in the combustion chambers or valve seats. I've seen it happen a few times. I've also ran into fuel pressure leakage after shutoff causing this problem. Fuel pressure could leak at either the fuel pump, pressure regulator, or the injectors themselves. So it's very difficult to say what problems you guys are actually having.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did go to the MBZ Dealership and they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it-even stayed overnite to try the Cold start and said nothing was found. I got a FREE refill of the engine COOLANT though :) So it is still doing the usual SHAKING on the first start up.......other than that runs great

·
Registered
678 Posts
It might not hurt to run some injector cleaner through a couple tank fulls, and maybe try driving the crap out of it while the stuff's in there, simply to try to burn out any carbon and free up any deposits in the combustion chambers and on the injectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts