Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I used to be registered to this site...alittle over 3 years ago...when I bought my C-class new in 2003. Anyhow, just wanted to give folks an update on my experience as an owner of a C230 Sedan.
Well, I have had my car serviced under warranty since I bought it, I have one more service left before I get to start paying out-of-pocket.
So far, things that have been fixed or replaced on my car:
1. The instrument cluster after 3 years, started to fade out and was hard to see clearly. They replaced it under warranty.
2. The rear retracting window shade got stuck several times in both the down and up position, finally got that fixed after it got annoying. They had to replace the motor I believe.
3. My car horns would not "TOOT" the right sound, they sounded WEAK, LOL. they bought a new set to fix that. I only used them TWICE, then one day (when I needed it the most) they sounded like my car inhaled some helium.
4. One of the door lock motors went out, the drivers side. Replaced that under warranty, this happened in the first 2.5 years that I owned the car.
5. I just wanted to add that everytime the Mercedes wheel caps fell off the car (I don't believe they were stolen). The service department would put new ones on without charging me.

Well, I would say to anyone that owns a new or used Benz under warranty, to definately check your instrument cluster, if it looks like some of the pixels are going out, then you may have one that is beginning to go bad.

By the way, I love my Mercedes....I've thought many times to trade in but everytime I wash and vacuum my car I fall in love with it again.....just have to keep that black paint clean!

Henry

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't mean to scare you but those 271 motors (1.8 s/c) have been updated after 2003. What happens is the exhaust valves get excessive buld up on the seats of the valve causing the guides to wear out and losing all compression in that cylinder. I've only seen it happen twice but only in the 03 model, later years have a updated cyl head to prevent that. But otherwise those motors are very reliable. Just watch out for the check engine light with engine missfiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
engine

The other day I started my car and it initially (for like 3 seconds) sounded like a put-put car from the old days.....just seemed like it was spurtin'.....did'nt seem normal and it did it again the day after.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Your engine is probably carboning up. There's probably 3 fixes for it. Fix #1, Drive the crap out of it. By crap, I mean full throttle, upper RPM range, as much as you can, with the engine fully warmed up. (My disclaimer: Warning, may cause you to get pulled over for wreckless driving or speeding, cause dangerous situations, and may cause serious injuries or death to you or innocent bystanders around you). Fix #2, take it in to perform a fuel injection flush. MB used to cover this under warranty, but then they said it's considered normal maintenence, and decided not to pay for it anymore. It really is they're fault. How many Fords and GM's do you see having serious carbon buildup after 20-30k miles? Fix #3, MB had a bulletin for your car that required removing the cylinder head and replacing the exhaust valves. That bulletin has recently changed. I think just the exhaust springs are now being replaced. I performed the bulletin once along time ago when I removed the head and replaced the exhaust valves and springs and decarbonized everything. All this should be covered under factory warranty.

So here's my suggestion, if your willing to do fix #1, that's up to you. But if it's under factory warranty still, I'd just take it in and complain that it stumbles at cold startup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts