Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all,

Fortunately, I live in the countryside and don't have to tangle with traffic very much. I have almost nailed a few cars lately as the left and right rear quarter panels have severe blind spots. If a car is close up on your 'tail' and/or passing, you have to do a very careful backward and side look before changing lanes. Also, try backing up a narrow lane sometime! Great car but you better figure on staying in front of everyone!!!

Al :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has the same complain, even if I can see pretty well. I think that where you sit makes a huge difference (try moving up/down or forward backwards, as I can find a sweet spot).

I found this, and it seems to help http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2002/November/07.html.

In Europe, lot of cars have external rearview mirrors (driver side) where the exterior 1/4th is convex and helps create a "wide angle" view. I wonder if Mercedes does the same (if so, I'm going to buy an Euro mirror :) ). Can people in Europe confirm if they have a flat mirror or a convex one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have noticed the same thing (especially on the passenger side) with my C240. Even with the side view mirror all the way out there is still a substantial blind spot when a car is just to the rear corner. I have to turn my head way back to see if there is a car there. There is quite a lag from when an approaching car disappears from the rear view mirror and reappears in the side view mirror. I have owned a number of cars over the last few years and none had such a bad blind spot. Surprising, when you consider how good Mercedes is about safety.

Frank B

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree that the C230 has an enormous blind spot. Especially on the driver's side where there is no convex to the mirror. Seems to be a German tradition as my former Jetta had the same problem. I keep meaning to get one of those tacky looking little convex mirrors to stick on. They look bad, but it's better than having an accident!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the part numbers for the Euromirrors on another forum (the ones I was looking for, with a convex area)

Left hand, heated, aspheric, dimming A203 810 03 21
Right hand, heated, aspheric A203 810 02 21

Price seems to be around 320$ for the LH, 75$ for the RH (plus S&H). It used to be cheaper, but the Euro exchange rate is hurting

I called my dealer, and they can get them, too, but for significantly more.

It looks like a simple "do it yourself job", removing a few clips. The mirrors have all the electrical connections and they can be swapped relatively easy

Any ideas where I can try to get them cheaper?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blind spots:C230

Thanks for all your helpful tips. I will followup on the wide angle mirrow noted by Lynn(thanks Lynn), and will get one. While I never rely on side mirrows totally, they do help when you can see who is coming up on you.

Al 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
BLIND SPOTS????

What are you talking about? This car has the best visibility of any car I've owned the last 7 years.

You should try driving

Camaro
Vette
Eclipse
MR2
350Z (especially)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts