Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2003 C230 Coupe for $21615. It is a dealer demo with 332 miles on it. MSRP is $25615. The car has no options. Is this a good deal?

I put a deposit on the car and will return tomorrow for a test drive. The car was on the showroom floor and could not easily be moved today.

My current car is a 1998 VW GTI VR6. I love the way my GTI accelerates and the cargo space of the hatchback. I'm thinking the C230 will be a good replacement, however, I am concerned about the handling without the sport package.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Whether or not that is a good deal depends on the market you are in. If you are in a big city with several dealers, it is not that good. If you are in a small market with one dealer and the next dealer is a hundred miles away, it's not bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live about an hour outsided of Boston. This car was an advertised special in the Sunday paper and I have not shopped around at all. There are other Mercedes dealers in the area.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought mine at the end of 2002 with 400 miles on it. Same situation, it had been used for test drives, demos, etc. Traded in my 2000 VW Jetta TDI for it. The only real sacrifice was the fuel economy of the Jetta diesel, but I am getting about 28 MPG in the C230k, and I have the true 2.3 engine - the 1.8 should get better.

I am still happy with the decision, as I spend over 2 hours per day commuting and also wanted more comfort for the long rides. Luckily, mine was well equipped... I don't know if it was plain jane if I would have bought it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
c230 coupe at 21.615

I think for the money you cannot go wrong. Even through you have no sunroof option its still a great car for the money. Buy It, Buy it. you will not be sorry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The options that I would get if I were ordering the car are heated seats, sport package and HID lights. After adding those options, it becomes a ~$30K MSRP which is way out of my price range. If I were to spend that much money, I would get an Audi A4 1.8T Wagon with Quattro.

I don't think I would opt for the sunroof anyway since I have to use a roof rack for my surfboards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just today my local dealer is advertising it $5000 off msrp, the cheapest one was $23555, they all had panoroof, leather and auto. I myself would've liked the 6-speed. They did however found a silver one (which I want) and they could truck in the next day or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up passing on the C230. The suspension was too soft for my taste and the 16" wheels looked to small in the wheel wells. I really liked the supercharged 1.8 liter engine, but in the end I couldn't see myself driving it for the next 5 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts