Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies & laddies,

Our reliable Moderator, Lynn, recently referred to a drop in gas consumption. I noted a similar problem.Sometimes the ECU needs checking. But, I have done some simple log checks and found out the following:
My C230 has 16 inch Pirelli P6s. I was down some 60 to 80 Miles per tank, or more, during the last 4 tankfulls of gas. I checked the tire(tyre) pressures, which were down 6-9 PSI, a problem with tubeless tyres(tires)--I guess you young folks dont remember those tube tires(tyres) which tended to fail faster but didnt lose so much pressure as temperatures changed. Anyway, the upshot is this: my MPG has returned to its normal incredible level after I reset pressures to 32 PSI front and 34 PSI rear. I use this as I drive urban and highway a lot. My recent tankfull(premium 92 octane), rendered 35.85 MPG. This is based on a Canadian Imperial gallon. That would be around 40 MPG in US gallons. Not bad. But, I drive the speed limit,mostly and set the AC to AUTO. No doubt, keeping tyre(tire) pressures at spec, or at least, not allowing them to get too low, reduces wheel drag and improves economy. These cars are not too bad rides, folks.

Al :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C230 Gas consumption:Correction

Hi,

Actually, my US estimate is wrong. Somebody can help me here in estimating the equivalent in US MPG based on the smaller US gallon. It would probably be around 31 MPG. Last summer I got around 42 MPG on a Canadian gallon on my trip out East to Midwest Canada (Manitoba)--that is roughly like coming down from Minnesota across the 49th parallel!! Anyway, I am not about to buy an electric/hybrid car any time soon based on cost/useage factors alone!

cheers

AL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C230 Gas Consumption

Thanks Lynn. I'm quite happy with this kind of mileage.

cheers

Al :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts