Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I have been carefully checking my front wheels for stones between the treads but cannot find a culprit for this new annoying problem At slow speeds over a smooth road, you get light bump bumps which you feel in the steering. Tire pressures are normal. Dont notice it once driving above 15 MPH or on rougher roads. Seems like a tire but cannot find any nasty stones to blame. Could a tire belt be wonky on one of my P6 Pirellis. This has persisted for 2 weeks. Usually a stone will fall out after a while. Have about 12,000 miles on the car and it runs great otherwise!! Ideas?

Al :roll:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C230 bump bumps

Thanks Lynn. I will take the car to MB next week and have them check it out. That is what we have warrantees for but, it does seems quite unusual really!

Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your tires are, I believe, H rated units. H rated tires are known to produce "flat spot" bumpy ride, especially in the morning or when the weather is cool. If this is your problem, the effect should lessen as you drive and the tires warm up.

The Benz dealer (service manager) told me at one point that this complaint leads all other in their dealership. I drove an E Class and got the same effect. However, it doesn't happen to *all* Benzes.

I parked my C240 outside for two days once without driving it. When I started out, I though I was losing a casing!

I took the easy way out and replaced them with a lower rated tire - no more problem...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cgalbraith,

Thanks for your info. I used to get flat spots on cold tires when I lived in cold, winter, Ontario. Here it is warmish all year round.Since i have this problem after 12,000 miles, it could be a tire problem or, as you note, weather factors. May be something stuck somewhere in one of the tires, too.

regards,

Al

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2003 C230: bump bumps at low speed

Hi,

I visited my local MB dealer this morning. They ran the entire car through diagnostics, checked brakes suspension and the tires, washed and cleaned the car throughout--I took a walk after a couple of donuts and coffee!! They suspect a slipped belt on one of the front P6 Pirellis, not uncommon in any tire which gets a hard jolt from some source. I knew it wasnt a balancing problem. They rotated the suspected front tire to the rear and the problem disappeared. With 14K miles on the clock they did NOT charge me a penny and were very courteous and helpful. I will have the suspect tire checked at the B service. A slight belt shift is reportedly not a major worry--so I am told. Tires have not worn down very much either, considering they are softer than the Michelins which usually are screwed onto these cars.If a further problem occurs they will raise the matter with Pirelli.
Just wanted to let those interested know what happened. Sure happy with the MB service I am getting so far.

Al :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts