Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just back from another long trip, this one to Eastern Canada, about 3000 miles this time. Great performance and economy as usual but one problem, the first annoying one!

At about 500 miles from home started hearing a chu-chu-chu sort of thrumming sounds--quite loud from 40 to 60 MPH. Dealer checked car, pronounced wheels and bearings ok but replaced right rear tyre(tire) as it seemed to be coming from there. Could not feel anything associated with tires(tyres) ie balancing or alignment.I had a tire(tyre) switched earlier due to a thumping due to a belt shifting.

Back home. Same problem. Back to my local dealer this time. Diagnosis: right rear wheel bearing no good. Replacing both--when parts come in.Mileage is 18,500 miles.

This is the first time I have EVER had a wheel bearing fail on a Mercedes Benz in 24 years of owning the marque. In fact, I never once had to align the wheels on my former 300E. But they had REAL front ends on those cars not Macpherson struts.Groan!

So if you get such a noise dont assume it is a wonky tire(tyre). I was wrong and the techies at MB found the problem. Fix will be free parts/labour under warrantee.

Just for your info folks. Sure surprised me. Still love my car though. So comfortable and no sore back either on long trips.

regards to all

Al
:wink:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C230 nasty Noises on the byways

Hi,

I have the C230 Coupe. Must be a defective wheel bearing. They should last at least 30,000 miles. Odd.

al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if the noise is the same but I have a buffering noise going on and the dealer told me that all my rims were out of round. I only have 35,000 miles on the car and they told me that I need to buy new rims. Not sure I want to fork out the $266 per rim at this point. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same issue - between 40-60mph I'm getting a weird humming/thumping noise from the rear right tire. I only have 14,500 miles! I am calling my dealer today to schedule an appointment and will update this thread with the results. Gee, I'm glad I checked in on this forum before calling the dealer!! :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2003 C230 Strange noises on the byways

Hi,

Well now, folks. Your comments are interesting. I got my B service(18,000 miles) and complained bitterly about that thrumming at 50-60 MPH and lower. First, they replaced the rear wheel bearings--made in France!! Then, after two trips back to the dealer and receiving a new MB loaner too, they are now taking my advice and replacing ALL the tires and retesting. These are Pirelli P6s. Good performance tires in snow and rain and not too noisy but i suspect, a bit soft. These stock tires MAY be out of round or one or two may have slipped belts. RIms, I submit, should NEVER be out of round. Aluminum rims can get bent out of shape and cause wheel balance problems. Had that on my son's 190. Bent rim. I suspect the tires for your and my car.
It remains that I might have to get aggressive with the tire manufacturer if they try to stiff me with a differential in tire price for the new ones--if That is the problem. Tires are warranteed by the manufacturer not MB. The wheel bearings and loaner cars are gratis and no charge for them. Dealer has been good so far here on Vancouver Island. Will let you know the outcome. The noise is quite loud and I told them not to call me until the car is back to spec.
I have been driving a loaner MB all week!
Al
:roll:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dealer is telling me it's my tires (Pirelli P6's). Said that all 4 show "cupping and scalloping" and the rear 2 are down to the wear bands. Not covered under warranty - the dealer wants $780 to replace, mount and balance. Yeah - right, like I'm going to pay that for the same tires. I don't even have 15,000 miles on them!! But I don't know what to do at this point. I guess I will take the car back unchanged and call Pirelli? :?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tire problems on C230

Interesting experience Aurea. I am waiting until the new P6s are installed and tested to see if the thrumming disappears(mileage about 19,000 miles on tires and car-suspension ok). Tire wear is normal and not excessive. No cupping or signs of out of balance or alignment. If the thrumming disappears, which it probably will, then Pirelli needs to look at the problem. I expect the MB dealer to help me, even though the tires are not covered by MB but by the manufacturer. If, as you note, you have about 15,000 miles on your car and are getting cupping and premature wear, looks like a suspension problem or, even out of round tires. That is excessive for such low mileage. Keep us informed and I will report back when I get my car back next week.
thanks.

AL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2003 C230:Strange Noises:Concluded:tyres(tires) after all...

Hi,

After two weeks of driving around with a new MB loaner(no charge), I received my 2003 C230 back from the dealership with 4 new Pirelli P6 tires. The thrumming I have referred to was, in fact, related to tires with attitude problems, as I had insisted! I left the culprits with the dealer, to contact the tire(tyre) rep. Now have my pal back again, quiet running and like it was when new. Although a slow resolution--tires(tyres) had to be ordered, it reinforces my experience with excellent MB service and no charge to me.
2. I have sadly noted others with complaints about their cars and I wonder if one can be a) unlucky b) bought a thrashed used C230 c) got a new one but dealer is hopeless d) dealer is replacing parts which are not defective rather than finding out the real problem--ergo, were my rear wheel bearings REALLY in need of replacement? You decide. Be persistent. I told them not to call me until the car problem was rectified--and i meant it!!!Besides, I had a loaner to drive!!

regards to all,

AL
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts