Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I drove to Edmonton, Alberta and back(about 1000 miles each way, I believe) and my C230 consistently returned over 38 MPG(Canadian gallon-Imperial). I discovered that when the A/C light on the switch is ON the Aircon is actually OFF. Yup. I finally read the manual. It seems to get equally good gas consumption when I use the A/C. Anybody else notice the same or am I either lucky or constantly driving downhill?? Great car. No problems so far except for the swaybar bushing over speed bumps. Got 10,000 KMS on it and very pleased.

Al :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I commute over 100 miles (US) per day and I get about the same mileage with or without the A/C on. The big killer for me is getting bogged down in stopped traffic. You can expect lower mileage when winter comes. For me, the biggest factors for good mileage are:

1. Consistency of speed (and I've noticed that I get better mileage at faster speeds - within reason, i.e. 72 MPH). Cruise control is great for controlling this.

2. Outside temperature. Best mileage is during mid spring to mid fall.

3. Tire inflation. I keep my tires between 2-4 lbs over spec.

Of course the longer you drive the better your mileage should be - which is why a trip like that usually demonstrates it. I have the 2.3 litre engine and average over 27 MPG - that's counting ALL my driving. The 1.8 should be higher.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C230 Mileage

Hi Beavis,

Thanks for your wise advice. Yes, I use cruise control on those long, straight Canadian highway stretches, less so in the mountains. I too increase my tire pressure. Actually, the car arrived from the dealer when new with 32 psi front and 35 rear on Pirelli P6s. I have kept the pressure at that and seems ok. I often haul around various loads in the back and luggage of course on long trips. thanks and regards,

Al :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have noticed this interesting fact too. Using AC or not the fuel economy is the same. This proves that the car has a good design. This summer I drove down from Montreal to Boston using the AC and the gaz millage was 7.5 l/100km. Back to Montreal I didn't us the AC because it was raining. The gaz millage was 7.5 l/100km. Good car !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts