Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey! I have a 2003 ML55 AMG, and there is a lot of creaking noises coming from the cargo area..for example, when turning into a driveway or entrance to somewhere, at an angle, where the concrete is higher than the road you were on and the car has to "bend"(hard to explain,dont know if it makes sense). It sounds like a loud knock/creak, and sometimes it happens over bumps too...

Any info on what it could be? anyone else have this problem?thanks!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It is possible your rear shocks have worn prematurely. This is a relatively common failure on these vehicles. To be certain, I would shake the vehicle side to side (I normally use the roof rack as a handle). If you hear the same squeaking from the rear when doing that, it is almost certainly the shocks. Let me know what happens and we will go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did what you said to do, and there's no creaks or squeaks at all coming from the rear.The creaks I hear sound like they're coming from the left side of the cargo area(and also the liftgate) where the spare tires is(in the ML55, it's in the cargo area because of the exhaust system), but I've removed the tire twice now to tighten everything, but it's all tight.

I tightened the tailgate myself months ago(the black keyhole looking things on each side where the tailgate closes)because it visibly shook over bumps, but the creaks are still there.

Also, once in a while it sounds like the creak is coming from the roof area above the cargo bay.

:?: thanks PHAEDRUS, any more helpful tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I apologize for taking so long to reply. I was in a pretty bad car accident this week and the CLK is totalled. I am of the opinion that if I was in any other car I would not be in as good of condition as I am now. At this point, I think a trip to the dealer is in order. It may be necessary to pull the headliner/rear trim to inspect for loose fittings, broken welds, etc. Rattles can get pretty common throughout the life of the 163, but there aren't a lot of squeaks as you describe. The AMG built vehicles have even less problems than their lessor incarnations. It's definately time to let the experts get in there. Without being able to see the vehicle there's not a lot more I could point you to beyond guesses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its alright! I'm very sorry about your accident, you're right, if you were in any other car, you wouldn't have been this fortunate! Ya, the next time the car is needed for a service, I will definetely tell them to check out the creak in the rear...thanks for all your help, and I hope you heal quickly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2001 AMG ML55 and had the same sound. It is the spare tire cover. I solved the problem by spraying son-of-a-gun on all areas that appeared to come in contact with another. The problem was in two areas, the cover mounting to the body and the cover itself where it joins together. This should solve your problem.

Robert
2003 6-speed Corvette 10-sec. Club
1987 Grand National 11-sec. Club
2001 Mercedes ML55 Tow Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
creaking sounds

Hi I had the similiar sound on my 2003 ML 320 and went crazy trying to find it and about 3 trips to dealer. finally what was the problem in my case was the side bars were loose somewhere even though they were tight I couldn't understand it but it does not make noise anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts