Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to the board. Looking for information about the new engine vs the old one. I know I am not the first person to ask this question. I have read everything I can find on this forum, on another forum as well as on the newsgroups about the horsepower, torque, torque range differences between these engines. There seems to me to be a strong advantage in favor of the 2002 on paper. However, among the various posts I have read, it seems that very few have driven both. If you have driven both... is there a noticable performance difference? How about otherwise? On paper, it seems that it would be noticable, but the numbers don't always tell the story.

Thanks in Advance,
Adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own the 2003 1.8L, and i've tested driven several 2002 2.3L. if there is any significant difference, i can't tell. i love the 1.8L. it's quiet and just as powerful as the 2.3, as far as i can tell. remember, the 2.3 may have more power on paper, but it's heavier. the 1.8 is lighter (made of aluminum) so the power difference levels out. also, we're talking about a difference of a whopping 3 HP and 8 torque. if that really bothers you, then you're pickier than me. and if you're buying this car for raw speed (we're talking stock here), then you're buying the wrong car.

2.3L
Advantages:
a whopping 3 HP and 8 torque more than the 1.8L (note the sarcasm)
more mods available
been around for a while (tested to be reliable)

1.8L
Advantages:
fuel efficient
quieter
technologically more advanced

it comes down to a matter of preference. go test drive both. but again, if you want this car for pure speed and power, you're looking at the wrong car (stock). and don't listen to anyone who hasn't ACTUALLY DRIVEN both engines.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know about C230K 2003 model, but when I drove C240 I've notice a BIG difference and C240 is very close, if not the same as 2003 C230K looking at the specs (HP etc).

·
Registered
8 Posts
well, if the difference between the two 2003 C240's was BIG, then it's nothing like the C230 difference which is negligible if noticeable. plus it has the supercharger which helps to flatten the torque curve. i've driven both a 2002 and 2003 C230 and they're virtually interchangeable when you step on the gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2002 and have driven the 2003 a few times..and to me...you can't compare..the 2003 seems like it is lacking power..and the shifting is a bit off...the fuel economy really doesn't make a difference...if you are looking for fuel economy go for the civic...and it is also missing a few options like the REST which is a life saver in the cold weather...it also bears the ugly 1.8 badge...

I'm not trying to offend any 2003 owners in any way...i just noticed a big difference in power and torque..and it seemed like it was struglin to make the power...it is a half litre smaller and the boost from the SC is much higher almost double of the 2002..

so suit yourself..it's just not my cup of tea that's all but people have different opinions and i have spoken to alot of people who just love the 2003 for the fact that it's so smooth

either way you look at it you are driving a quality German car...it doesn't get any better

BTW sorry about the chapter book I wrote :oops:

·
Registered
8 Posts
it's all a matter of opinion. i own a 1.8 and have driven several 2.3s while Benzino owns a 2.3 and has driven several 1.8s. :D you just need to go test drive both. personally, i didn't buy this car for power anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. if i wanted power, i'd of gotten a G35 or a used porsche. but i wanted to buy more than an engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2002 vs 2003

I have owned both the 2002 and now the 2003 and I actually like the 2003 better. Engine is definetely quieter and power seems the same around town. My gas mileage is also much better with the 2003. (20.9 vs 15 - 16 around town). I just reached 1000 miles yesterday on the 2003 so haven't really tested it on the road, hills, curves etc. Will let you know if there seems to be a significant difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dealer had two 02's w/ 6 Speeds. However, I was away and by the time I got back one of them was gone and the other already has 2k miles on it. I drove the 03, and was very impressed with the engine. I didn't want to drive the '02 solely becasue if I liked it more, there was really nothing I could do unless I wanted an auto. The 1.8 was very responsive, very quiet. Even in 6th at 80mph, when you stepped on the gas it accelerated. I was really blown away. Now of course I am plagued with whether or not to wait and get the C230K Sedan. Ahhhh. Also, looking in the 03 brochure, the torque curve on the 1.8K is extremly flat, I have a gut feeling that the torque band although advertised to be much smalller than the 02 isnt so much in reality. From the diagram it looks like it produces 90% of its max torque basically from 2k to redline.

Adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts