Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 CLS 500 (388bhp 5.5l) feels unstable at motorway speeds - it feels unsettled as though it is rocking from side to side. This situation applies with the active suspension set at the ("hardest") setting II.
I mentioned this to my local Mercedes dealer when the car was in for a service, and they road tested the car on a motorway. They too noted the feeling. They then road tested another CLS and noted the same feeling and concluded that everything must be okay! I spoke to Mercedes customer services, who reported back that there is nothing to be done, because it is (obviously) typical with the model!
I exploded at this point - this is a car that, even with the UK speed limiter, is advertised as capable of 155mph! I for one would feel totally uncomfortable to drive the car at anything like those speeds (speed limits permitting) when the car feels so unstable.
Does anybody else have similar concerns with their CLS?

·
Registered
58 Posts
How does it ride in the other settings?
I don't have a CLS but in my experience with cars period it's either the alignment, tires, or maybe both. Tires include unexplained behavior, which does happen, or simply incorrect tire pressure. Like my last two cars act really weird after a trip to the tire store, where they pump the tires up to the max. I think 44 or something redonkulous, then I bleed them down to 30 and all is good.
If you think about it, assuming the bushings, ball joints and shox are good, it pretty much narrows it down to alignment and tires...
Tires I've had that simply had mystery problems felt like they were catching the grooves on the freeway, as if the little grooves somehow catch and guide the tire, and car with it, to one direction a bit, then some other groove takes over and pulls the car the other way. Ultimately it gives a rocking effect as if you were moving the wheel back n forth a bit every few seconds. At least that's how it's been described to me, and I agree it does feel like that, especially since it only seems to do it on concrete freeways w/ said grooves. I can't explain how or why, just that a tire swap fixes it. So fyi always be wary when you get new tires so you can take them back b4 too much time passes.
Of course if front or rear toe is off, usually not enough tow-in, it'll act like that as the tires fight over who's got a grip and who's gotta slip. Too much toe-in can do weird stuff too but it seems to depend on the tires? Caster is another one, not enough and wheels have a mind of their own. Like if you make a U-turn and the steering wheel doesn't at least try to right itself you have no caster. If it really fights hard to go straight you have too much but it isn't really that bad other than fighting to turn. Happiness is somewhere in the middle.
Alignment includes bushings, so considering its 2006, if you have the orig bushings they're likely shot and screwing up your alignment. Even a replacement set that's x years old could be shot. There's also the subframe to body bushings to worry about.
Just because it's the dealer doesn't mean they know wth is going on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts