Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, went to start car, symptoms were no crank, remove key warning and stuck in park! Discovered that it was related to shifter not going into park properly. Tried to get into dealer, advised first available appointment 2½ weeks out! Found local garage that works on European cars, repair bill was $76.00.
Lessons learned - if you own an older Mercedes find a shop that works on them before something happens.
Things to help with diagnosis, when you put key in the ignition if you get a buzz sound, that's the security unlocking the steering wheel, so you not be the security system! Learn how to get the car out of park.
I hope this is useful to other MB owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was narrowed down to 1 of two things, one the pin would not either engage or retract from the park position at the shifter, or the electronic at the shifter was off. What was discovered, and I think by accident, to access the manual override to take car out of park you first move the boot cover at the shifter, then there is a yellow tab to pull back to be able to shift from park and what I understand they moved a cable which allowed the car to go fully into park either by engaging the pin or releasing it and the car started! It has worked trouble free since and I do plan to take it back to have the pins looked at to make sure there in good condition! I hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts