Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an intermittent issue where all systems will fail, the instrument cluster, command system, windows, turn signals, etc. The car will drive fine otherwise and then everything will reboot and return to normal. I was able to access the blind spot sensors ( I read a possible culprit) but they were not badly corroded and with the sensors unplugged the problem still occurred. Something is shorting out the systems. The local dealer and couple local import shops don't have a "smoking gun" and want to spend several hours to diagnose. Any suggestions on where to start and have repair shop focus?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Intermittent issues suck. What I usually do is wiggle wires/harnesses to get it to do its thing, and if you're lucky you can then narrow it down. It could also be corrosion on plugs somewhere, but those usually cause a loss of connectivity, not short the system out. But is it shorting out or is it losing power? So I guess I'd pull the cluster out and unplug everything, check for issues and be sure they make contact. Often just removing plugs and reconnecting is enough to solve the issue because it scrapes the connectors clean. Also; sometimes the male or female connector in the plug will back out. Say the connector never caught or it's tap holding in broke, then it may barely be making contact and driving around ramdomly breaks contact. Wiggling wires will find this but so will pulling plugs and looking at the connectors. In your case I may also pull on each wire in a plug to see if its secure in there or not.
Of course it could be something totally different causing it, just sayin that's where I'd start if an OBD2 scanner didn't tell me what it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts