Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of transmission oil do I need for my 2016 GLE 350 4Matic and how many quarts? I assume it's synthetic but wanted to see if it's something I can order from Advanced Auto, etc.

Thx!

·
Administrator
878 Posts
You'll need synthetic oil to mercedes-benz MB 236.14 standard.
There are many on the market with that standard. I recently used Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 - Mercedes MB 236.14. However I flushed the gearbox that uses a lot of oil in the process, as opposed to just draining and refilling.

Flushing the gearbox is quite a task, and I bought a 20 Litre container of MB 236.14 quality oil.

Reactions: tweetgvest

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have about 75K miles so I might not flush the gearbox this time and just do a drain and refill...Thx again!

·
Administrator
878 Posts
I have about 75K miles so I might not flush the gearbox this time and just do a drain and refill...Thx again!
With only that mileage you shouldn't need to drain the oil and refill.
The original synthetic MB oil that was in the car when you bought it should be good for many more miles unless you have a problem with the gearbox?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'll need synthetic oil to mercedes-benz MB 236.14 standard.
There are many on the market with that standard. I recently used Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 - Mercedes MB 236.14. However I flushed the gearbox that uses a lot of oil in the process, as opposed to just draining and refilling.

Flushing the gearbox is quite a task, and I bought a 20 Litre container of MB 236.14 quality oil.
Why did you think it was necessary to flush the transmission. I have 330,000 miles on my 300 STL and have change the transmission fluid every 25,000 miles without an issue.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
Originally Mercedes stated that the 722.6 gearboxes were "sealed for life" until the problems started to be reported.
My 722.6 box had leaked oil from the 13 pin plug and socket so it was jerky when cold then I lost drive.
Rather than just refill, I did go down the flush and refill, and glad I did. The colour of the waste oil was quite black.
Last year I had to replace the valve plate on another MB 722.6 gearbox, and the black residue around the solenoids was quite disturbing. I pulled out the valve body and thoroughly cleaned it before reassembly and filling.
Unless you drop the pan and clean everything and change the filter, I would definitely recommend the flush and refill method.
I always think of that old adage "Oil's cheap, engines/gearboxes ain't" ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts