Benz Forum banner

2020 GLC 300 - Lack of information

14K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  BoatWaco 
#1 ·
We bought a 2020 GLC 300 for my wife in Oct. We were looking for a specific set of options and trim packages on the car, and were willing to forego certain things. The model we eventually purchased didn't have the lit star and navigation. The dealership wanted to $1k to add the lit star and another $2k for the navigation. We chose not to add the options to save some cost upfront, and figured we will add them on later. The problem I'm encountering now is that there is no clear information regarding the 2020 model.
For Christmas, my in-laws got the lit star for my wife. The part they got was from MB and is the actual OEM lit star. The installed cable had a terminated end, which looked like it should plug directly into an existing power port. I looked at the area the cable would reach and could not find anything to plug the cable into. So, I decided to reach out to some independent MB shops. According to the several independent MB technicians I spoke with, the GLC we have, which has the proximity sensors, the 360 cameras, the brake assist, etc., can absolutely not have the lit star installed. The radar cluster and control boards for all of the safety features are right behind where the star is, and the LED panel on the light would interfere with the cluster. This didn't make sense to me because I know LEDs are extremely low voltage, and are essential meant for exactly this type of installation. I fiddled with the light on my own, and installed it in the car, powered from a separate 12v battery. The car started without any errors, I took for a spin, with no issues. So I wired the light directly to an available fuse port in the engine compartment, and an available ground close by. Now, when I start the car, the light comes on, when I turn the car off the light goes off, no problems.
The next step I'm trying to resolve is the navigation. I've again been doing research, but can't find any clear information. I spoke with the parts manager at my local MB dealership. They can order the necessary SD card and have it installed for approx $700 ($1300 less then the dealer wanted when I was purchasing the car by the way). I asked the parts manager what I would be purchasing for that price, and he showed me the image on the screen of the SD card. The problem is, we can't find an actual SD slot in the car. I'ld been searching before hand, the parts manager searched for it, he had one of the service techs look for, no luck. So, where does the SD card go? How do I transfer the map information from the SD card (which I bought from a trusted seller for $65) to the car? The car has navigation built into it, but it is not available for use, Insert Map Media is the message that comes up when you try to access the nav.

Does anyone know, how to transfer the map data from the SD card to the system in the car?

See less See more
#2 ·
Good job on the star. You did exactly what I would've done and called BS. Fyi mine has the lit star option but I unplugged it, I don't want the light but do want the MUCH better looking star.
As for the maps, does it not have a spot in the stereo for an sd card? If not then it must have a spot somewhere to plug in music... Mine, a '16, has the SD slot next to the volume on the stereo and one or two USB ports inside the center arm rest compartment. If SD is outdated in yours then I'd try an adapter to USB or just transfer the files to a USB stick. That is assuming it has a USB port and I can't imagine it doesn't?

#3 ·
Where was your star plugged in? If it's not too much to ask, can you take a picture of what it looked like plugged in?

There is no SD card anywhere that I, or the Mechanic techs have been able to find. The closest thing that I've gotten to that's even remotely helpful, is that there should be a slot in the center console, next to the USB ports, to the right that would accept the SD card. My car doesn't have that slot available. The MB tech is supposedly following up with MBUSA to get an answer regarding adding the option to my car. Still waiting.

#4 ·
There was just a little wire with a plug on the end behind the grill, nothing special. Where it goes exactly who knows, but my guess is it connects to the same wires the parking lights do, probably the drivers side parking light since that's the direction it came from.
You mean a picture of the oem plug and wire? I could probably do that but I don't see what the point is. Meaning without the other plug you'd need to make the stars wires longer and connect it to the parking/head lights or at the very least to the fuse box so it turns off with the ignition. But I'll see if I can get one...
As for the story the MB dealer told you, I suppose it's possible that the space behind your star is housing the radar and/or camera, but unless I saw it myself I would not believe a word a dealer tells me, based on my experience with them. If it was true that means they'd have to make a different setup for those that do order the star, which doesn't make sense, or at the very least make a different lit star which I could believe. If so then I'd simply work on integrating that stuff into your new star. Like maybe the radar and camera are behind it and look thru it, if so I'd just drill holes and make mounts etc to make it all fit yours. If needed I'd make some protective lenses, or hack up the old star to get its lenses.
So if you have USB ports then transfer it via those. I'd imagine the file in the SD is not an executable, but just a data file, and as soon as the system sees it it'll do its thing.

#5 ·
I want asking about a picture of the oem light. I thought you said yours came with the light and you unplugged it. I was hoping to see a picture of the oem setup plugged in and working directly from the factory.

I plugged the SD card into a card reader and then USB, thinking the same thing you suggested. No luck. The car didn't recognize that anything had been plugged in.

#6 ·
You can see that pix on a variety of MB pix online, but mine was not easy to unplug because there was very little room to force my hand back there. My hand/arm was such a tight fit that it was painful and I thought I might break some plastic or something. Plugging it back in would likely be impossible without removing parts to make room. Besides, you said you already plugged it in so you know what it looks like? I thought about connecting mine to a switch, for a moment, but I can't see any reason I'd ever want it on. Same with the door sil lights, which are not only useless but effectively blinded me. I have no interest in bragging about the brand or model car I have, in fact I'm the opposite which is part of why I removed the letter/numbers off the back. The main reason is I think it looks better without. I'd remove the star in back too but that leaves holes, so I'm considering painting the star to match the paint. The front star I'm kinda stick with, so unplugging is all I can do. I'm digressing, back to topic:
USB adapters usually (always?) need a driver to work and I'm guessing the car probably doesn't have that. So if it doesn't see it I'd say it's the adapter it's not seeing. So I'd transfer the files to a typical usb drive and see what happens, preferably a drive you already know works in it. I've never plugged in anything to my usb ports, excluding charging my phone, so I don't know how finicky it is on reading but I assume it has a basic driver or it would kinda be useless.
With the exception of my phone and PC's, nothing I own can read a chip above 32G. Point being I'd use a 32G or less usb to increase odds it'll work. Your car is newer so who knows, just fyi. Most all my memory chips are MicroSD, I simply use SD or USB adapters. The SD adapter comes with the cards I buy, which is almost always Samsung Pro Endurance (which I highly recommend over normal chips) and I don't believe there are any electronics in it to need drivers. A USB adapter, at least all the ones I've seen, have electronics onboard.
If the file(s) are in a folder on the SD then I'd copy the folder too because it may be looking for that. If you don't have a usb dealie that works I suppose you could try putting the file(s) on your phone and then plug the phone to the car? I never tried that either but it's a thought.

#8 ·
We bought a 2020 GLC 300 for my wife in Oct. We were looking for a specific set of options and trim packages on the car, and were willing to forego certain things. The model we eventually purchased didn't have the lit star and navigation. The dealership wanted to $1k to add the lit star and another $2k for the navigation. We chose not to add the options to save some cost upfront, and figured we will add them on later. The problem I'm encountering now is that there is no clear information regarding the 2020 model.
For Christmas, my in-laws got the lit star for my wife. The part they got was from MB and is the actual OEM lit star. The installed cable had a terminated end, which looked like it should plug directly into an existing power port. I looked at the area the cable would reach and could not find anything to plug the cable into. So, I decided to reach out to some independent MB shops. According to the several independent MB technicians I spoke with, the GLC we have, which has the proximity sensors, the 360 cameras, the brake assist, etc., can absolutely not have the lit star installed. The radar cluster and control boards for all of the safety features are right behind where the star is, and the LED panel on the light would interfere with the cluster. This didn't make sense to me because I know LEDs are extremely low voltage, and are essential meant for exactly this type of installation. I fiddled with the light on my own, and installed it in the car, powered from a separate 12v battery. The car started without any errors, I took for a spin, with no issues. So I wired the light directly to an available fuse port in the engine compartment, and an available ground close by. Now, when I start the car, the light comes on, when I turn the car off the light goes off, no problems.
The next step I'm trying to resolve is the navigation. I've again been doing research, but can't find any clear information. I spoke with the parts manager at my local MB dealership. They can order the necessary SD card and have it installed for approx $700 ($1300 less then the dealer wanted when I was purchasing the car by the way). I asked the parts manager what I would be purchasing for that price, and he showed me the image on the screen of the SD card. The problem is, we can't find an actual SD slot in the car. I'ld been searching before hand, the parts manager searched for it, he had one of the service techs look for, no luck. So, where does the SD card go? How do I transfer the map information from the SD card (which I bought from a trusted seller for $65) to the car? The car has navigation built into it, but it is not available for use, Insert Map Media is the message that comes up when you try to access the nav.

Does anyone know, how to transfer the map data from the SD card to the system in the car?

Did you ever find out how to install the map on your car? I got a GLC300 2020 and I absolutely hate Apple Car Play. Half the time it does not work (tells me my device is not connected)... when it does work, it shows up only on two thirds of the screen... Anyways, please let me know if you found a way.

#9 ·
I have not been able to get any information, Covid through an extra wrench in these already complicated gears. I've contacted multiple dealerships and they all tell me that I can buy the updated memory card and "install" it, but they can't explain where to install it. I've even taken it to dealership, and they weren't able to figure it out. Best I can figure, at this point, is that my car doesn't have the actual GPS module in the car. If the actual module was in the car, you should be able to buy the updated/current chip and insert the chip in the module. I tried contacted the dealership and asking about getting the GPS module installed, but I haven't gotten a clear answer. Good luck, and let me know if you have any luck.

#10 ·
.......... So, where does the SD card go? How do I transfer the map information from the SD card (which I bought from a trusted seller for $65) to the car? The car has navigation built into it, but it is not available for use, Insert Map Media is the message that comes up when you try to access the nav.

As with other models using DVD as media for Map Data, your "reader" s/b in the trunk area, over wheel-well; usually covered by decorative/protective lining. I am unfamiliar w/your vehicle but try my approach at no-cost :}

#12 ·
Ditto... the NAVIGATION across the internet is not clear. I have a 2020 GLC 300. I tried exporting the program from another MB both on USB and and on SD type-C connector. No luck. I have a SD coming from Amazon. But by the looks it stops at year 2017/18. So we shall see if it works. If not I guess I’ll have to go to the dealership.

#20 ·
I would suggest that it’s not “luxury brands” specific. But yes, some cars are more expensive to maintain than others. It also costs more, regardless of manufacturer, to get a vehicle serviced at a dealership than in your driveway.
I make take in or do myself decisions on my MB, Ford truck and wife’s Toyota every time maintenance is needed.
Now repairs is a different story (you mentioned repair’s specifically). The cost of parts can be higher with so called luxury brands, and so can labor rates. You can and should find a very highly thought of and qualified independent mechanic shop for any brand of vehicle you own, to help keep labor costs down. But from what I’ve have been reading in various forums, parts availability is often a factor these days. This affects branded and independent shops.
To sum up my opinion - the gap to repair cars across brands has narrowed, but closer to all being more expensive than less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.