Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 230 coupe and noticed that after it sat nose up on an incline for a couple of days, that the transmission became very hard to shift into first and second gears. It didn't loosen up again until several days later. Does anyone know what might be the problem. The transmission shifting has loosened back up now, so the dealer can't find any problems. My thinking is that maybe the gear oil isn't getting circulated over the gears properly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Karl said:
My thinking is that maybe the gear oil isn't getting circulated over the gears properly.
I was also thinking the above. But it shouldn't take days to recirculate oil, just a minute or two.

Another thought. While parked on the incline, did you first engage the parking brake and then shift the gear to further stabilize the car? Or did you just put the car in gear w/o setting the parking brake. If so, all the stress was being maintained by the gear teeth. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pushing the dealer a little harder on this one. The transmission was very difficult to shift and required some double clutching for a few days after I was parked. My thought too is if gear oil isn't reaching everywhere, then the tranny will be fried or at least die an early death. All of my cars have been manuals and I've never had this happen before. If the dealer can give me a decent answer/solution, I'll be sure to post it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts