Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 76 240d a few weeks ago and was changing the oil for the first time yesterday. all went well, but i'm just curious how this filter works? i guess by this i mean how does the oil flow through this filter. it is not a spin on , but the kind that go inside a can. there are only holes on the side of the filter and the bolt goes through the holes in the top and bottom, so how is oil supposed to get pumped through the paper element of the filter? i'm just curious.
thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
The oil filter for your 240D is a canister type similar to those used in other Mercedes diesels. My ’80 300SD and ’87 300D both use a canister filter inside the “can” just like the one in your vehicle. The actual filters are different, but should work the same. I know they work, but exactly how I am not sure. I am going to more this topic to the Diesel Forum and perhaps someone there can give you a more technically correct answer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I believe the center bolt is hollow and has holes in it that the oil flows out of, so that the flow is actually from the inside of the filter out. I could be worng about the direction of flow, but the center "bolt" is hollow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what i thought too, but i couldn't find any holes in the bolt. however, i think you are right and i that makes the most sense. (it's in side to out flow on other types of filters)
thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts