Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I am in Australia, and I have a 1983 280E auto with 170,000km. It runs very well, and is in great condition, but occasionally after a long-ish drive (at least 20 minutes normally) when pulling to a stop, it has trouble idling. Sounds as though it is running on 5 cylinders, and is rough, but doesn't blow smoke. Generally after a couple of minutes (and maybe a few revs) it sorts itelf out.

My Benz mechanic replaced the air slide, hoping that would fix the problem. He found that the original one was a bit sticky, but in the end the problem wasn't fixed. I still think it is some kind of switch or valve that is operating incorrectly, because the other day when it was idling rough, I went to lift the bonnet and heard a "click" sound from the engine, and the idle went back to normal.

Any ideas? Your help would be appreciated!
Simon

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to BenzForum. Are you running the AC when this happens? If so, the click you heard could have been the compressor cycling off. The car might be set to idle too low and with the AC running the added load is making the engine try to stall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.

No, it's not the a/c - it does it with the a/c on or off - it seems to make no difference.

It doesn't tend to do it when the car is cold - only after being driven for a while, and has been at working temperature for some time. Strange...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts