Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I am in Australia, and I have a 1983 280E auto with 170,000km. It runs very well, and is in great condition, but occasionally after a long-ish drive (at least 20 minutes normally) when pulling to a stop, it has trouble idling. Sounds as though it is running on 5 cylinders, and is rough, but doesn't blow smoke. Generally after a couple of minutes (and maybe a few revs) it sorts itelf out.

My Benz mechanic replaced the air slide, hoping that would fix the problem. He found that the original one was a bit sticky, but in the end the problem wasn't fixed. I still think it is some kind of switch or valve that is operating incorrectly, because the other day when it was idling rough, I went to lift the bonnet and heard a "click" sound from the engine, and the idle went back to normal.

Any ideas? Your help would be appreciated!
Simon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply.

No, it's not the a/c - it does it with the a/c on or off - it seems to make no difference.

It doesn't tend to do it when the car is cold - only after being driven for a while, and has been at working temperature for some time. Strange...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts