Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Most people use a vacuum suction device, such as a Topsider, to remove the oil, but you can drain it the regular way. You may need to remove a belly pan to do so. The oil filter is an insert type. It is located at the front left (driver) side of the engine. You will need a special wrench to remove the top of the filter housing. The wrench is available from the dealer. The new filter should come with a couple of o-rings and a new crush washer for the drain plug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2K C230K - DIY Engine oil and oil filter change

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply.
Questions :
1. To siphon the engine oil out from the top, does people siphon out from the oil dip stick tube or the oil refill opening ?
2. Can one use an oil filter remover cap ( the one that fits at the base of normal oil filter ) as long as it fits the oil filter cover of the car ?
Thanks, kdb

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the help. I did the DIY oil/filter change. I used an plastic orange oil filter wrench( base cap ) that fits the cap tat I boughr from wal-Mart for $3.50 and it worked fine.

Thanks, kb

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pep Boys also sells the cap style filter wrench in a variety of sizes. One of them fits just fine, it's what I use. They also sell the filter for far less than the dealer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can buy a oil filter wrench from a local parts store, but I would recommend that you purchase a good quality OEM oil filter for your Mercedes-Benz.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Perhaps, but I actually went to the length of cutting a Fram filter and an OEM filter in half & there was no visual difference. Is there some invisible magic that makes the OEM filter worth 3 times the cost?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The OEM filters are made of a fleece material. It is vastly superior to traditional paper style filters, both in its filtering ability and in longevity. We send in oil samples for analysis from random vehicles that we have complete service histories on to verify the effectiveness of these filters. Even the cars going 8-12K between LOF's are coming back good. You spent the extra money to buy a MB, why would you want to cheap out on the oil filter?. Fram and Mercedes should not be used in the same sentence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts