Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently put a "good used" Transmission in our 83 300D, It works perfectly untill warm and then it won't shift into 4th gear. If i let it sit for an hour or so it is fine again until it gets warm.
this is a strange one, does any body have any advice?
Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I spent yesterday chasing Vacumn leaks, they are all tight, the modulater holds vacumn as well. this problem only happens when the car is warmed up to operating temp, if it sits for just a brief time it goes back to all 4 gears. The shift points are ok as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are the other gears shifting ok? Or are there slipage problems? What is the color of the transmission fluid, red or orange?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trans

When the Trans was installed a month ago the Fluid and filter where put in new, All the gears work beutifully especially after fixing the Vacuum leaks. Only when it is totally warm, it won't upshift from 3-4, however when this happens 1-3 are still unaffected.
Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
584 Posts
Check the bowden cable that comes from the transmission. This will attach to a pushrod that is held together by a screw. Loosen the screw and lengthen the rod, thus slackening the cable. Tighten the screw. This should be a small adjustment judging by your description of the symptoms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You, I went so far as to un hook the cable, the result was the same. I am thinkink since it is only after warming up completely that it might be something sticking in the valve body, If it continues I will need to find a known good valve body and change it.
Alan

·
Registered
584 Posts
Unhooking the cable should have made it race through all the gears almost immediately. I think you are right, something must be sticking in the valve body.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the difficult part is that it has to be driven for a time to get it to act up, about the time I think I fixed it it comes back....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts