Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Went back to my Benz to try and get the screeching noise (from my earlier post) to come back so I may be able to get more info. Of course, I couldn't get the thing to do it at all, no matter what I tried, typical. But I have a NEW THEORY!!!

What do you guys reckon. The noise was when I shifted to park. What happens when you shift to park? Well apart from locking the box, it lets you remove the igniton key, yes? Normally when you shift FROM park the key becomes locked in the ignition. SO. Maybe when shifting to park, the action of whatever is in the ignition switch housing was activating the starter motor, and hence the screeching? Yes? Or am I wide of the mark?

Anyone who knows what holds the key and how the switch works, let us know? Is it vacuum of electric solenoid? And how do I remove the ignition switch unit to inspect it, is it easy????

Thanx guys. If anyone thinks i'm mad, then say, cheers.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It seems possible, but is pretty improbable. I would not dig too far into it if it doesn't rear its ugly again. A lot of the older cars have strange little gremlins that happen very intermittently and may or may not cause a real problem anytime in the vehicles life. I wouldn't worry unless it happens again, at which point I would pay very specific attention to every circumstance surrounding its occurance. How long has the car been running, when was the last time it was started, what is the engine temp, is the radio/climate control on, is the steering wheel cracnked one way, is there a vibration, is it raining, anything? Hope she turns out to be alright. This is probably a stupid question, but what kind of condition are your engine belts in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm. well just a thought, I guess i'm looking for an alternative to gearbox trouble! It hasn't reared its head again since, which I think is strange given the volume of the noise, Jeez it was loud. If it happens again then I will let you know!

The engine belts are good, yes that was my first thought too, but i've heard enough engine belt squeal to know that this wasn't.

Ah well, thanks for the help anyways, you'll be first to know if it happens again!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just let me know if there's anything I can do. None of my technicians remember dealing with this sort of complaint. I will keep a looking through old DTB's and tech manuals to see if there is any referance to your specific complaint. If I find anything, I will make sure to post it here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great, thanks very much for asking round for me! Fingers crossed i'll have no other trouble. It's been 3 or 4 days now and it hasn't come back. It does make you a bit wary though, hopefully it was a one - off.

Thanks again for your help dude.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 1985 380SL and just had the trans replaced at 114,000 mi. We had an indepemdent mechanic replace it and when iwe got it back it had the screeching noise. It comes and goes but if you listen closely you can almost always hear it. Also there was a ticking noise that turned into a knock after about 1,000 mi. but then went away. With the screeching noise still there at times I am thinking that the tick corresponds with the screech. The tick didn't come from the engine compartment but when i hung my head under the car it wasn't coming from trans either. I'm thinking torque converter but that's just a guess. The engine has a miss that comes and goes but is sometimes severe. When it hits, the screech happens but not when it misses. Maybe something is slipping. It only happens when there is a load on the trans, like when it is in drive or under acceleration.
If anyone can help with the miss I am having, it would be great! Not ignition or compression, I think it is a sensor of some sort.

Thanks guys and hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My first course of action would be to go to your independent and have them investigate the job they did. It is possible something wasn't hooked up correctly or was misadjusted. They did the work, now you have a new problem. Shops need to be accountable for their repairs. i imagine you were given a warranty of some sorts covering the specific repairs. Talk to them first. They are obligated to at least have a look for you. Let me know what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts