Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Humor me here.

Are the transmission to engine mounts the same on a 240D and 300D?

What I'd like to do is get the manual transmission setup (complete with clutch, pedal, etc.) from a wrecked car and put it in my 300D. I don't like automatics.

But would the transmission mate up easily? Would the 240D tranny be able to withstand the insane amounts of power produced by a 300D?

Note that there is no turbo on this engine (yet).

Thank you!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I assume your are talking 123's in both cases. I believe that has been done by somebody recently, putting a manual transmission into a 300D. I know it invloved (of course) adding the pedal cluster, custom making a driveshaft, and swapping out other mounts. I know it does not sound too terrible, but it was terribly time intensive, and he ran into trouble with the driveshaft.

If you are wanting to also add a turbo, why don't you just get a turbo engine and swap it into a 240D? I would think that to be far easier and possibly cheaper...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...Turbo.....

That sounds interesting. Can you tell me more about what would be involved in putting a 300TD in a 123 240D that has a manual tranny?

Do you happen to know a guestimate of what a decent condition 300TD engine would cost?

Thank you for the quick reply! Love these old diesels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pretty cool project

Bombcar, that is a very cool project, if you have a digital camera, it would be nice if you show everyone some pictures along the way and any tips you learned on how you got it done....it would be something I would look into doing in the future...anyways I hope the best for your project... :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just some Benz foundations here: the numbers tell engine size, the letters tell fuel type and body, where "D" is interchangeable with "E". The TD or TE denotes the station wagon. The turbo is not typically denoted in the name. The 123 chassis 300D had an OM617, OM denoting "Oil Motor". The 240D engine(I believe OM616) is basically the 617 less one cylinder.

I have NOT done this, but I BELIEVE it SHOULD be a bolt-in proposition. The 617 engine should be easily found in local salvage yards, even in turbo form. Using an engine already fit with a turbo is much more advisable than conversion to turbo, since there are differences such as the oiling and forged components, stronger bearings, etc.

Does this help?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I'm going to begin this little project soon (I hope!), and I'll keep everyone here up to date with questions and pictures.

This should be fun.

And if it doesn't work so well, then by golly I'm gonna shoehorn a slant six/904 in there. :twisted:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts