Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1987 300e sunroof opens about 3 inches then gets jammed. It looks like it gets off track. After it's open the about 3 inches, I have to manually play with it to get it closed. Any ideas on what to do, or how to I can troubleshoot thius problem?

Thanks in advance

Dennis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dennisv20 said:
My 1987 300e sunroof opens about 3 inches then gets jammed. It looks like it gets off track. After it's open the about 3 inches, I have to manually play with it to get it closed. Any ideas on what to do, or how to I can troubleshoot this problem? I also hear a little rattling when driving from directly behind the sunroof.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

·
Registered
26 Posts
it could just be as simple as normalization issue. disconnect the battery for about 2 minutes to denormalize it and normalize again the power windows, sunroof, seats, steering. normalize it by pressing the buttons from end to end. hope this simple things help. let me know the outcome and we'll proceed to the next troubleshooting. goodluck buddy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disconnecting the battery didn't work. The motor sounds fine, you can hear it trying to move the sunroof. It looks and sounds like the sunroof is off-track. Everything I read says open the sunroof 3/4's and remove it. I can't really get the sunroof open more then a few inches. Any help on this problem would be great.

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sunroof problems can be a real bugger to diagnose and fix. There are no "normalization issues" on an 87 since the sunroof system contains little or no electronics.

I stripped the sunroof parts out of a junkyard 88 300E a couple of months ago. What a pain. All I can tell you is that the roof panel is moved forward/rearward by a speedometer cable looking thing with a zillion coils of wire wrapped around it. Kind of like armored brake tubing. Well that cable runs through a small metal tube from the motor assembly at the base of the LH rear roof pillar up through the pillar, inboard to the middle of the roof panel, and then forward. The cable has a kind of tee crimped to the end and it is that tee that is held to the underside of the sliding panel by 2 small bolts.

In order to get the panel free you have to either access and remove those two screws or you have to crawl into the trunk and remove the sunroof motor assembly. This is not fun in a junkyard without a 12V battery or a helper. I suspect that it is not much fun WITH those items either.

I have not yet attempted to install the sunroof motor so I can't offer much more assistance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know where you got that info but the sunroof drive motor is NOT located at the windshield header on 124 chassis cars. The only thing up there is the dome lamp, the sunroof switch, and the climate control system interior temp sensor.

The sunroof motor assembly including a relay module is mounted at the front LH corner of the trunk at the base of the c-pillar. The thing is behind a plastic trim panel that lines the whole LH side of the trunk.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The sunroof drive motor IS in the trunk, but I think the procedure refers to actually accessing the sunroof itself. That DOES require removing the header panel and some of the headliner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts