Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 06 E320 CDI with OM648 engine a couple of years ago at a salvage auction. It was a carpet flood. Prior owner left the sunroof open. After a few CanBus modules and a thorough dry out it runs fantastic and is very reliable with highway mileage always in the 40's. I bought it at 140K and now have 175k. Since this purchase has been like winning the lottery, I was wondering how difficult it would be to make a 211 4 Matic E320 CDI wagon.
This car would be such a perfect combo. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to find a salvage 648 engine & trans and then match it up to a gas 211 4 Matic wagon.
Perhaps it would just be easier to try to import one from Europe. I believe they made them available there.
I've done just a little tuning on mine and the torque just lights up the tires. An AMG drive line with limited slip would be nice.
I curse VW for screwing up the diesel world for everyone in this country.
Would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased a 06 E320 CDI with OM648 engine a couple of years ago at a salvage auction. It was a carpet flood. Prior owner left the sunroof open. After a few CanBus modules and a thorough dry out it runs fantastic and is very reliable with highway mileage always in the 40's. I bought it at 140K and now have 175k. Since this purchase has been like winning the lottery, I was wondering how difficult it would be to make a 211 4 Matic E320 CDI wagon.
This car would be such a perfect combo. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to find a salvage 648 engine & trans and then match it up to a gas 211 4 Matic wagon.
Perhaps it would just be easier to try to import one from Europe. I believe they made them available there.
I've done just a little tuning on mine and the torque just lights up the tires. An AMG drive line with limited slip would be nice.
I curse VW for screwing up the diesel world for everyone in this country.
Would love to hear your thoughts.
And '06 was the last year (in US) before the crapped up Bluetech took over. That is, prior to 2007 a Diesel Particulate Filter was used to clean up the exhaust, instead of post-2006 Urea-injection: added maintenance & cost. I'm speaking of the US market.
b.t.w. VW wasn't alone. Others, including your FAV, got caught during subsequent investigation. Focussed high-beam remained on VW, saving others the heavy penalty cum embarrassment.
Thoughts on wagon: theoretically, MPG would be much less than sedan because of (air) drag due to squarish rear shape.
Think 'wind-tunnel' used in chassis design before SUVs became a cult :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts