Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1989 560 SL is not starting. I will turn over, but not start. The two times this happened, I had it towed to the dealer. Upon arrival at the dealer, the car worked and they could not find the problem. Each time, after it was towed, it worked. I seldom use the car; it is a toy and not a daily driver. The dealer told me that due to lack of use, there may be a valve that is sticking, preventing it from starting.

Now it is not starting again, however, when I pored some gas in the carburetor it start, but will not get gas from the fuel line to keep it running.

Question, does anyone know what valve that might be preventing stopping fuel from getting to the carburetor?

Thank, Bill :(

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Stop now!! There is not a carbuerator anywhere on your vehicle! Do not pour gasoline into the top of your fuel distributor!! You may have caused major damage to a very expensive part of your engine. I would maybe try replacing the overvoltage protection relay and the fuel pump relay as a starting point. The best thing you can do is find a qualified repair technician that is familiar with your vehicle and allow them to properly diagnose and repair the issue you're having.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your talking $1,000's just to have it diagnosed, do the forum many times first, and again don't pour gas into the top of you engine, it's not like the old carburator days anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
no start

Can you hear your fuel pumps run when you turn key on? Should run until fuel system pressurized, then stop (about 3 seconds).

If not, check fuse first then fuel pump relay if fuse o.k.

If fuel pump runs normally as above but still no start, replace fuel filter.

If new filter does not fix and pump runs, carefully crack open one of the fuel lines on your fuel distributor and turn on key. Should have a spray of fuel from the open line.

Please report your repair or findings so that others will benefit. If still no joy, lets rethink.

Good Luck.

You need to drive it more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts