Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm having a rather unusual problem I need help with, please. This problem seems to have worsened over the last few months. I don't drive much, but you see, I recently inherited a '77 300D and it's nice (if a bit on the slow side) but during the winter, it was having a LOT of problems starting up at all. I thought this was kind of normal, since it was very cold. Then, in summer, there was a rainy day over a week ago and I left my car out in the rain, and it wasn't that cold, but when I came back, it would not start at ALL - suffice to say, I needed to have the Benz towed to my home.

I got home, checked the situation out, and the battery reported as dead. So, I charged it, and tried to start it - no dice, I was very frustrated. I checked the battery, and it was a dead again, probably from my repeated starting attempts after that (am I right?). So, I decided to do what I did before, and plugged the car into the block heater. Few days later, decided to check on it... and VOILA it started instantly again. Was the strangest thing.

I know something must be wrong because it wasn't this bad before - but, the question is, what?? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Does the glow-plug light work correctly before you try starting the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes the glow plug does light properly. Of course, in the cold, the yellow glow indicators take quite awhile to go off, and sometimes the whine sound it makes when I put the key in is a bit wobbly-sounding and unstable (not a constant pitch). I don't know if this is normal behavior or not.

Also: I'm not sure if it's my misunderstanding or what, but I thought the battery light on the dash showing a small battery icon with + and - signs is supposed to come on and glow red to show that the battery is being charged when I am driving, but it does not.

Please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Regalia, I am not sure on your model when the batt light should come on. On my car, when I put it in the "glow" position, all lights come on and that is my "check" to make sure that the lights work. The batt light goes off as soon as I start it. If it comes on while I am driving, it would make me think that I have a bad batt.

You need a lot of batt power to start a diesel, more than a gas car from what I have heard. Your batt will die out from repeated attempts, yeah, and if it is a good batt, then it will recharge after you do get it started and drive it for awhile (assuming alternator is fine, etc..).

If your batt is old or bad, replace it, and go from there. See how it does in the winter plugged into the block heater. If u have any problems starting it then, go to the glow plugs and the glow relay.

GL, I believe that your problems will be solved for the summer at least if u get a new battery.

Side Note: When I have had alternator problems, the batt light and the yellow light (the glow light) both come on while I am driving...this means "alternator problem" to me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What willy said as far as the battery light goes.

For your starting problem, you might need some glow plugs. To find out, disconnect each (from the wiring) and test them with an ohm meter. If any reads infinite resistance, it is time to replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts