Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum, but I need some advice.

I aquired the 240D about 2months ago, it had been sitting for about 6months prior to that. Since then I have replaced all the fuel lines from the tank forward, filters, and most recently the fuel pump. Here is the problem I have been chasing.
Basically the car starts fine and runs decent, you start driving down the road and completely randomly the car starts to Stumble, sputter and loss all power (<HA!), it can be floored and the engines revs will not climb. Most of the time it will still be running (barely), allowing me to pull to the side, and most of the time the car will then resume running perfect!?! It happens on staightaways, hills, incline doesn't seem to matter. It seems I own a car which I can't trust to drive anywhere, a terrible feeling. Real problem is, my brother is flying into town to pic the car up and drive back to NC from GA....and my mechanic is at a loss of what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Clueless about what the next step should be. Thanks
Andre'

1982 240D

·
Registered
66 Posts
maybe somthing to do with the shut off relay..
try disconnecting the vac line to the shutoff port on the back of the IP
that may solve it..

you will have to shut off the car with the manual "stop" lever during this test

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you elaborate?

jfraley said:
maybe somthing to do with the shut off relay..
try disconnecting the vac line to the shutoff port on the back of the IP
that may solve it..

you will have to shut off the car with the manual "stop" lever during this test
Thanks for the suggestion, I am not familiar with the car...yet, can you elaborate further. Point me to exactly to what you are talking about, direction/relation to other parts under hood? Where is the manual stop lever, is that the same as what was discussed in the owners manual about the car continueing to run after it was shut off? Is there a simple way to check the injector timing and most importantly a way to correct it? Thanks for all your input.
Andre'

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
It seems like there is still a problem in the fuel delivery system. Cracker 928 may have identified the problem in his post. One suggestion, look at the inline filter before starting, is the filter full? Now, when the car starts stalling, look at the filter again, is the inline filter still full? Another thought, is it possible someone mixed up the fuel delivery and fuel return hoses, where the rubber hoses connect to the steel lines?

Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts