Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and female, so please excuse my descriptions of problem.

I have an 84 300TD that I cant take on the highway because when I go over 120, I feel sort of a engine gasp and then I can watch the speedo needle go slowly down. Once it gets down to 40KM it starts to smoke if you give it any fuel. If you pull over (which I do before I get to 40km), and put it in neutral or park, its shakes and dies. I had a broken fuel line, so they have all been replaced. Changed my air filter, cause I thought there wasnt enuf air flow. Now I cant even drive through the city and backroads slowly to make it home. If you let the car sit for about 5 minutes, then it starts and is okay for a while again.

Any ideas? Maybe I should mention that I ran a few tanks of biodiesel after changing the fuel filter. And when this problem starts, the engine is knocking louder than the usual diesel engine noise.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

L

·
Registered
191 Posts
L:

This sounds like a classic case of fuel starvation. Change all your fuel filters. Inspect the hoses to be sure someone has not accidently left a hose clamp on them from a previous service. (Don't ask me how I learned that one.) :)

Biuodiesel is good at cleaning up the lines and tank sludge. It probably blinded your new filters.

-Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a new pre filter today and will keep my fingers crossed. Thats probably the only one I havent changed yet. Been there with my 'bunny' and the hose clamps.

If the new filter doesnt work, I'll be back.

Thanks.

Liane

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would pull/inspect and clean the tank screen too - especially after running the biod. Years of accumulation in the tank probably got broken up by using the biod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I can fly again. The pre filter was clogged. And there was a clamp loose on one of the fuel lines. I'll check the screen on the weekend. Is this accessed from under back seat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The tank screen is in the bottom of the tank. You will want to get as much fuel out of the tank prior to pulling the screen as possible. When you are under the car look on the drivers side of the differential and you will see the fuel supply hose. Remove this hose and the "big nut" turns out and the screen turns with it. I don't remember the size socket but it is a big one. Personally, if it is running ok now I would leave it along until it shows up again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't jinx me. I have 'murphy' following close enough behind me! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Liane:

Glad to hear you are back up to speed. I agree with engatwork on leaving the fuel tank screen alone if you are getting plenty of fuel now. The tank screen was a good thought though. Motor on!

Sincerely,
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts