Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 85 190 D which i can't seem to shut off with the key... I have to manually open the hood and push down a lever on the injection pump which kills the motor. Does anyone know if the shut off is electrically controlled, vacuum controlled or how it works. Also the directionals don't seem to work but the hazards do? Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
190d Shut Off

Had the same problem of not being able to shut off the engine on my 190d back in 1987. The fix by the dealer was a new vacuum pump (then under warranty).
good luck!

·
Registered
453 Posts
It is likely you have a vacuum leak or a problem with the vacuum system. If you do a search in the Diesel Discussion forum for "vacuum leak" you will find some go info on how to find the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
85190D said:
Hi all, I have a 85 190 D which i can't seem to shut off with the key... I have to manually open the hood and push down a lever on the injection pump which kills the motor. Does anyone know if the shut off is electrically controlled, vacuum controlled or how it works. Also the directionals don't seem to work but the hazards do? Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks Paul
There should be a vacuum line going to the back of your injection pump- make sure it is still connected. Then you might check the connection on the back of the ignition switch- I had mine just fall off one time. If the connections are any kind of loose, the car will not shut off- new hose or zip ties will fix it right up.

As far as the turn signals- on my 82 240D, if the hazzard switch isn't in the "just right" postion, my directionals won't work. It could be that the switch needs cleaning but I never messed with it. Something to check, though.

Good Luck.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts