Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 300 SDL OM603 , apart since December 2020, I disassembled it due to an exhaust leak. That turned into a crack in the Manifold, which has finally been put back together. I have Not Touched anything on the drivers ( injection / fuel ) side of the car. However NOW the car cranks and starts , but STALLS / SHUTS OFF Immediately as I release the starter key. I cannot get it to respond to throttle as it shuts off that quickly. This was never an issue before the long down time. Is there any fuel shut off valve that might be stuck , or any electrical connection that might have gotten some corrosion during the duration, car is near the ocean air environment.
Thank you Rich

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had my 300 SDL OM603 , apart since December 2020, I disassembled it due to an exhaust leak. That turned into a crack in the Manifold, which has finally been put back together. I have Not Touched anything on the drivers ( injection / fuel ) side of the car. However NOW the car cranks and starts , but STALLS / SHUTS OFF Immediately as I release the starter key. I cannot get it to respond to throttle as it shuts off that quickly. This was never an issue before the long down time. Is there any fuel shut off valve that might be stuck , or any electrical connection that might have gotten some corrosion during the duration, car is near the ocean air environment.
Thank you Rich
Yes, there is a fuel shut-off valve connected to accelerator linkage, around half way down along valve cover on driver-side. Worded differently: Look at cover, standing in front of car. Location is approx mid-point of length of cover - on right (driver) side. While it is a consumable part, requiring periodic R&R your problem seems to be fuel lines sucking air. You might have disturbed one or more fuel lines while working the Manifold. Your fuel lines are clamped together along individual route to pump. Clamp is padded with a tiny rubber piece to absorb vibration. The 603.961 engine on Model 126.125 (your car) has extreme vibration. Diesel fuel must be a continuous stream throughout travel between tank and combustion cylinders. No bubbles. No air!! Unfortunately, MB discontinued providing a built-in hand pump to bleed fuel system following fuel filter service, after around 1978 MY - relying, instead, on engine self-bleeding while running. That assumes a solid fuel circuit in the first place.

IF your system is solid, then keep trying w/fully charged battery. May bleed itself. BUT, allow starter to REST AND COOL. Big IF.

Your problem is not electrical if it fires but fails to continue running. Engine quits because it has run out of fuel sitting in the larger (main filter in aluminum cup) of two filters. B.t.w: keep an eye on 'for sale' stuff on forum as I plan offering a handful of brand-new OEM glow plugs when I get to it :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts