Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a fixer upper '87 300D. It has low miles (122,000), but a couple of small problems. First is the sunroof. The motor works, so I went looking at the cable for the problem. It meshes with the gear from the worm drive of the motor/transmission, but the end of the cable has a tube which the cable runs into. It looks as if the tube has broken off from the motor/transmission. How hard is it to replace the cable, and could the sunroof itself be the cause thus breaking the cable? Replacement cables are about $70, so I want to fix the problem first, then change parts. Secondly is the alarm system. If I open the passenger's door with the key, the alarm system works perfectly. But if I open the car up w/ the driver's door, then the alarm goes off. What am I missing here? Could there be a disconnected wire in the driver's door, or is the problem elsewhere? Thanks again with your help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tony,

My '87 is having a similar problem. In my case one of the tracks is broken. I do believe in either case it requires a complete dissassembly of the sunroof, or atleast you might as well while you are in there. The process invloves removing the front upholstered section that holds the sunvisors, as well as the b-pillar covers where the seatbelts reside (start at the base of those). Then, the headliner can be dropped giving access to the sunroof mechanism.

The alarm systems can be quirky on these things after a while, often due to corroded connections. However, it sounds like a fair guess that your door switch could be bad. The quick and easy way to disconnect the system if it is too much headache is to unplug the brain located towards the firewall underneath the passenger floormat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts