Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what these cars achilles heels are. Are there any time bombs, etc? Any must have DIY manuals? I usually go with Haynes. I'm new to these cars, so I'm just trying to get my toes in place!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had an '86 300e-used lots of oil-getting valve stem seals done stopped oil consumption.
I have heard that fuel pump relay will give a no start.
Car seemed to have no knock sensor and thus pinged a lot if non premium fuel was used.
good luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Generally the W124 is a very popular and dependable Mercedes series. The AC system is a potential high dollar item if the evaparator develops a leak. A service manual is available on CD for this vehicle. It has some good basic information on the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1987 300E

Hi. The 300E and 124 cars were a staple for Mercedes that apealed to all consumers. They are quite reliable....I had an 87 260 E that had 180K miles and still ran exceptionally smooth. It did need new valve guides because it consumed oil and fouled the plugs every 2 months. After the valve job ($400+) it runs well.
My 1987 300E has 120K miles and runs like it was built yesterday HOWEVER, the AC and blower motor for the AC/Heating comes on when it wants to even with the climate control is set on automatic or full defrost. :oops:
Total cost to fix that problem from one Mercedes dealer is $550 for a new blower motor and $280 for a voltage regulator. ($800+) with labor and THAT ensures the blower motor problem is fixed. WHEN it does turn on and the AC compressor is turning, the system shoots hot air. ($200) for an AC diagnostic which includes injecting the dye , filling with freon and checking for leaks. 8O
Everythings else on the 300E is great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tips

Valve seals, timing chain gasket seal,
Bottom end of engines are bullet proof,
Recommend the repair guide,

Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W124) Owner's Bible™: 1986-1995
by Bentley Service Publications
Softcover, 8 3/8 in. x 11 in.
352 pages
495 Black&White photographs, illustrations & diagrams
Bentley Stock Number: GMOB
Publication Date: 2002.sep.01
ISBN: 0-8376-0230-0
Price : $39.95

G

·
There is a very good book writen by Stu Ritter and published by Bentley that sells for $39.95 at most bookstores. It is called "The E class owners Bible"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W124) Owner's Bible at Amazon.com

You can get the Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W124) Owner's Bible™: 1986-1995 by Bentley Service Publications at Amazon.com for just $27.95

1 - 7 of 7 Posts