Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is this thing? i noticed a couple months ago that if i had my hood up, the car automatically went into a "hazard mode" with head, tail, and indicator lights flashing. it seemed to go away when the hood was closed and the car was running. recently this characteristic started to have a mind of its own and would do the same thing while i was driving the car and continue to do so while the car was shut down and keys removed. needless to say, this sapped my battery. i just tracked the clicking relay sound that accompanies this to a black plastic box under the front passenger floor mat next to the airbag/seatbelt tension control. the box has two plugs. when i removed the lower, larger of the two plugs, the clicking and hazard type light mode stopped. left it unplugged and started the car and drove and everything seems to work fine. what is this box, and can i just leave this thing unplugged and keep driving? zeitgeist? thoughts? THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
That's the Becker car alarm. Most folks with these older cars just unplug them and call it good. They're a really unsophisticated unit these days, and can be replaced with far more technologically advanced units via the aftermarket.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts