Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping someone could review this thread and input new advice. I wanted to leave the link above and bump this thread but being 10 years old I will start a new thread.
Here is the shared synopsis. Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the full thread for those who did not want to read the link.
This is not me. I have the same exact issues. No solution - Same diagnostics.)
Have an 87 420 SEL in the shop with a no start condition. It stalled dead on the road, no stumble or warning. will not start on starting fluid. it has fuel pressure at the fuel distributor (cant check the psi, dont have the right fitting, but its alot) and plenty of spark. have checked spark with an inline tester and a clip on. checked timing, around 8 degrees. both fuel pumps are running and putting out plenty of pressure. fuel is coming out of the ports on top of the distributor when disconnected and i crank it with the sensor plate pressed down a little, but none comes out when cranking if i dont press on the gas or push down the sensor plate. have replaced the coolant temp sensor and the fuel pump relay already. once in a while, it will try to start, but never quite make it. most of the time, it will catch momentarily on the first turn after sitting for a while, but then not even catch or try to after that. have pulled the plugs and they are not wet, so it isnt flooding. took the fuel distributor apart and it is fine. no binding. any ideas? have checked just about everything we can think of.

+ New pumps + Tank removed boiled out + 100 PSI + This person was looking for the gate keeper of fuel to the injectors. He like myself did not find this by taking apart the fuel distributor. I have a perfect Fuel Dist. 12v brand new with 2 amp /10 amp charger. I am ready to swap an LS in. Less work.
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter • #6 Mar 7, 2011
was able to get a fuel pressure gauge on it, max's out the 100psi gauge at the dist unit. fuel still will not come out of the spider arms (dont know what you guys call them, thats what we call them on a GM) when the plate it depressed even though we have 100psi going in. took the dist unit apart the other day and it looked fine, but its complicated in there and wasnt 100% sure on everything i was looking at. it seems that there is a mechanical disconnect somewhere in the unit as it has the pressure to it, but does not push it out the individual injector arms when signalled to by the plate. ideas?

Discussion Starter • #5 Mar 7, 2011
took the dist apart on friday and cleaned it and checked it over. no problems at all, moving freely, no gum, no nothing. am currently checking the pumps again, the filter isnt clogged, can blow through it with little resistance. going to try to find some way to test the pressure, dont have the time to wait on a gauge online unfortunately. will check the return line pressure like suggested as soon as i put it back on the floor. what should i expect there? and what will it tell me if i have some or have none. trying to understand this system better...

Reply Quote

R
rizzos
Registered

Joined Mar 4, 2011
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter • #6 Mar 7, 2011
was able to get a fuel pressure gauge on it, max's out the 100psi gauge at the dist unit. fuel still will not come out of the spider arms (dont know what you guys call them, thats what we call them on a GM) when the plate it depressed even though we have 100psi going in. took the dist unit apart the other day and it looked fine, but its complicated in there and wasnt 100% sure on everything i was looking at. it seems that there is a mechanical disconnect somewhere in the unit as it has the pressure to it, but does not push it out the individual injector arms when signalled to by the plate. ideas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts