Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess it was bound to happen eventually. Wife wants a CLK cabrio, and we don't really need to have five cars (it is only the two of us). So, I have been very torn about selling the diesels. Do I sell just one to make room, or both and pick up a new toy? If just one, then which one?

Both have minor issues that I have had neither the time nor energy to deal with. The '87 has been in the family since '88 and is cosmetically challenged, mostly due to tired original paint (the desert has not been kind). There are a few other issues but it is basically reliable and economical transportation, and the performance still makes it fun on the highways.

The '93 has been in the family since new, and shows fairly well and is still very tight. It does not offer the performance of the '87, but has been very reliable since I got it five or six years ago (or 90,000 miles ago). Even though carfax shows clean, I know my brother had some sort of wreck prior to passing it on to me. Kind of shakes my faith in carfax...

I am considering putting them both on the maket just to see which sells first, and my decision will be made for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are not a lot of late model diesels for sale in Cali so market should be good. I have my eye on a 350SDL and looks like I am going to buy it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I know you have been looking at 140's and I think the 350 had its problems sorted out by then, but you might want to check into that. I know when they were sorted out, they were awesome! Good luck to you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
cracker, I am really having my doubts about the 350SDL due to the rod problem. I read up on this problem AFTER I posted last night.

Based on what I have read, once the engine is replaced on the OM603.97 (which I gather is the original engine in the 91 350SDL), it runs great.

A question I have is: Can the rods be changed at a reasonable price without changing the whole engine and prior to catastrophic failure?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I don't know enough about engines to talk the talk but it doesn't sound like replacing the rods prematurely will necessarily solve the potential (or inevitabe) catastrophe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts