Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. wondering where I can find the engine block heater on this car. I just got it three weeks ago. It is not in the same location, that I know of, that my 300D had. Also, how is the starting on this engine in the winter? Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe the block heater is in there but it must be wired- this was a free option but it had to be done within a certain time after purchase. If yours is wired there will be a 110V plug behind the small lower right side removable grill panel. I have a 98 and used it the first winter when it got down to single digits. I don't think the car started that much easier but the heat came up faster as it was already half way to 80 degrees. I tried to follow where the plug in goes but it is hard to see where it actually goes. If you're using synthetic oil I don't think you'll have any problem. Remember that the glow plugs continue to heat for a period after the light turns off, so waiting a little extra time is helpful.

Bob Skillman, Ellicott City MD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

I will try to locate the plug as to your description. Appreciate it.
I am a little envious of your 98, because that has the turbo. Even though my 96 has enough power, the turbo must be just awesome. Good luck and thanks again. Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
doggussy said:
Hi. wondering where I can find the engine block heater on this car. I just got it three weeks ago. It is not in the same location, that I know of, that my 300D had. Also, how is the starting on this engine in the winter? Thanks
I installed the wire connection to activate block heater on mine as well. My Mercedes mechanic asked my where it came from and let him know I installed it and he said for why???
Just to see how well this model starts in the cold I left it out in the driveway and at -16 degrees. Without touching the throttle and a light indicated glow time the E300D started right up to a smooth idle!! wow. My prevous '85 300D wouldnt start below 10 degrees.
Try this for yourself to see how it will start in the cold on a morning you don't have appointments. Of course you'll want winterized diesel. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts