Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I saw a post that said a VW wiring harness is the same as the Benz. As I had a 91 VW Corrado before my 97 C230 I thought that the aftermarket stereo I saved (bought from Cruthfield) would just plug right on in. Close...but no cigar. So, maybe the VW harness is different on a 97ish VW, and that will work with my Benz? If so...any tips? Will the Benz CD player work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
p.s.

I was REALLY disapointed to see that Crutchfiled has ZERO aftermarket suggestions for MB. They are usually so good...

What are others using as an aftermarket stereo supplier that is MB friendly?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You're real limited as to what can be done for aftermarket audio in these cars. They run a seperate amp and need to have new speaker wires run if you want any kind of decent sound out of it. Otherwise you're sending an amplified high level signal to a device that should only be seeing a pre-amp siganl and are effectively overloading the front end.

The one thing you can get away with is to install an older Alpine CD changer, as it will plug right into the existing wiring. I've got one in my '97 as it's was expontnetially less expensive than the MB model, which is the exact same unit with black paint and a star. I'll look on my car tonight and get the exact model number for you (drove the girlfriend's car today, needs LOF).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Head Unit

Sorry...should have been more speciffic. My car has the MB 6 disc changer already...I really just want to change out the head unit. I have no need for the tape (does anyone still own tapes?) and frankly the tone is a bit flat for my taste...so I am looking for better sound.

The VW Corrado I had had the Aktiv system (amps) and running the JVC I bought from Crutchfield to it didn't cause any probblems in either function or fidelity.

Perhaps it would be better/easier to change my aging factory speakers to get better quality of sound before I mess with the head unit?

Any suggestions? I don't need bass that can be heard a block away. I listen at comfortable volume levels, mostly Jazz, Orchestral and some R&R.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lynn! I don't see pricing info or my car specifficly listed, so I will write to them. I'll post the reply here, and if I end up purchasing one I'll let you all know how everything went.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts