Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 97 c230 about a year ago. which did not have a dipstick to check transmission fluid. so i bought an OE dipstick(just for measuring). does the car have to be idling when i check the fluid? thanks...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tranny Fluid

Whenever checking the transmission fluid (Allegedly a sealed system...) make sure the car is up to operating temperature and that it is idling. You will not get an asccurate read otherwise. The opposite is true for the engine oil. The best check is with a cool, non-running engine, although you can check it with a fair degree of accuracy when it's warm.

Dan Cohn
2000 C230Kompressor
Over 100,000 miles and purring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where's the filler bolt?

Where does the dipstick fit into? Where's the place you can "fill up" or check the trans fluid level? (C280)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's back by the firewall. There is a cap with a little locking tab on it. The tab is black if it has never been opened, red if it has. you'll need to purchase a new lock tab as they have to be broken to remove them. The only way to accurately measure the fluid level is if you have an exact fluid temp. This requires a Mercedes STAR tester. You can get close without it, but the 722.6 trans is INCREDIBLEY sensitive to proper fluid level. I can't recommend messing around with the trans fluid if you do not have a good amount of experience dealing with that exact trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts