Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents/Ladies,
I just got an 97 E420 Sport with 89K miles - LOVE IT!! Rides some much better than my 190E. Anyway, today I noticed a metal rubbing noise comming from the front left wheel. I thought wheel bearings, shocks or springs. I pulled over and sure enough the front left spring came loose from the top mounting point (sorry for the lack of technical details) The car only has 89K miles, I have owned several cars with twice that mileage and never seen that before. Anyway the guy at the shop (a Mercedes only shop, but not a MB dealership) mentioned that it is fairly common in the E class, particularly the E320 and some E420 Sports. I find this hard to believe, that MB would have a design flaw in such a basic element of the car that would make it literally fall apart without warning at 89K miles. Has anyone experienced this? I was told that MB sells a 'kit' for this and that shops weld it to the unibody and saturate it with undercoating. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot guys.

Emanuel Mozes
Voorhees, NJ
97 E-420 AMG Sport

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That is unfortunately a very common issue on these cars. Can be a safety related concern as well. The upper spring perch is quite susceptable to corrosion and can simply break off. I've seen a lot of 210's with that issue. It's a fairly simple procedure that a body shop can do for you to fix. Rest assured you are not alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you PHAEDRUS242 for your comments. I did talk to the shop owner today and indeed it was the spring perch that due to rust just separated from the body. He is checking into the right side to make sure it is ok, and he has agreed to replace the left (and the right side if needed) at no cost to me. He will also be providing me with a loaner car.

Thanks again, and if any of you are in the NJ/PA/DE area looking for a good used MB, give Mitch at MB Auto in West Berlin a call.

Emanuel Mozes
97 E420 Sport ///AMG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts