Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago the car began loosing power and stalling, but would restart. The dealership replaced an air regulator, but that did not fix the problem. They took the car back, but did nothing for three weeks -- explaining they could not diagnose the problem unless it happened while the car was there. We then took the car to an independent MB mechanic, who said the computer code indicated that the same part failed. He replaced it again, with no change. After eliminating the fuel system as a cause of the problem, he eventually settled on the computer and replaced it. The car ran, but we only drove it locally. The next time we brought it in for service, the same stalling problem arose. The car will restart after a rest, but will only go two blocks at most before it dies.

We have put over $5000 into repairs over two years and the car still is not fixed. We have gone through a dealership and authorized independent MB mechanic. HELP!

·
Registered
16 Posts
stall

I bet you have a fuel delivery problem . Cars are complicated now days but here is a simple check .

Sounds as though the fuel tank can't get air to replace the consumed fuel and thus builds a slight vacuum thus starving the fuel pump a bit so you loose power after a short drive and over a short time then the motor stops . After a while air seeps past the blockage or by the fuel cap to alleviate the partial vacuum and the car will start . Leave the fuel cap as loose as possible and drive a while to see if it helps . If so at least you know the problem source . The rubber on the fuel tank ventilation hose on my C230 deteriorated very quickly so I had to replace it . I am sure a few rubber bits found their way to the fuel tank or somewhere in the delivery system but after 3 years no problem . Did change the fuel filter .

I have gone so far on my V-8 Ferrari as to remove the fuel line just after the filter , jump 12V onto the fuel pump then measure the output from the post filter side of the line . On your car I estimate at least 2 gph coming through the filter . This can be a dangerous test so don't try if you don't have previous fuel filter replacement experience .

I would ask the MB dealer to do a fuel pressure delivery test if the simple tests don't help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stall

On the Ferrari , I didn't get a light as its one of the early fuel injected models so not Bosch's most sophisticated diagnostic interface . Was a fuel filter failure - sort of common on cars that sit a lot year after year .

In a seperate forum , it was suggested that I might be able to obtain a print out of the MB codes ( after paying the $ to have them read ) and proper support of the Service Advisor and tech's . My local dealer charges about $80 to read the codes .

On another vehicle I bought the $25 code scanner . It verified the problem but not the exact cause . After spending $50 on guesstimated fixes that didn't work , I took it to a local guy that has the real thing . Took 10 minutes to find and fix . and $100 for a throttle position sensor or switch .

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am currently experiencing transient stall problems.... the engine doesn't cut out - just no juice from a dead stop. After say 10 mph is reached, it runs like a champ. Acceleration is definitely missing from a dead stop, whether I leave the car in drive or try the tip-tronic shifting.

I had a throttle actuator replaced (under warranty) during a swing through Colorado Springs. They said it was clearly defective, but the car is not running much better.

Anyone think altitude could be an issue? Specs say the fuel injectors are self adjusting, but...... I live at 1200', and at 5-7000', the vehicle doesn't run the same.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am currently experiencing transient stall problems.... the engine doesn't cut out - just no juice from a dead stop. After say 10 mph is reached, it runs like a champ. Acceleration is definitely missing from a dead stop, whether I leave the car in drive or try the tip-tronic shifting.

I had a throttle actuator replaced (under warranty) during a swing through Colorado Springs. They said it was clearly defective, but the car is not running much better.

Anyone think altitude could be an issue? Specs say the fuel injectors are self adjusting, but...... I live at 1200', and at 5-7000', the vehicle doesn't run the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing

I am currently living with the same problem. Car runs like a champ after you get moving. but loses power almost immediately after the car is engaged in a gear R or D does not matter. It wants to stall and does if I don't rev it to keep Idle up. Kind of sputters then when I get going it runs like a banshe, perfect. I have replaced the computer once before. cost about 100. Did you ever get yours fixed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmmmm:

Sounds like I need Lynn's help here :). When you say you 'replaced the computer', what are you referring to? I thought there were several. $100 sounds cheap, then again, I'm at 9000 miles, so warrany should cover it. We just should not have to put up w/this problem!cSeems very basic.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I don't have a solution to any of these problems. They are somewhat different than what has been reported on various fora in the past.

Never leave the fuel cap loose. It can cause errors to be recorded in the OBDII and even cause the car to go into "limp home" mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts