Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I've a 1998 E320 Wagon with the standard factory installed stereo (AM/FM/WB, cassette, CD changer) as well as the integrated phone. Since I purchased the vehicle used many years ago, I've essentially ignored the integrated phone - in fact, I considered disabling it at one point but decided to leave well enough alone. Just recently, the radio started displaying "PHONE" on the display whenever the radio is turned on - the station preset will show for about 1 second when the unit is turned on before reverting to "PHONE". I've checked the fuses (#23 in under the hood fusebox, #15 in under the rear seat fusebox) and they seem fine. Perhaps the phone unit finally died and now the stereo system won't function without it? I see discussion regarding a "fiber-link" associated with the stereo system - is there a way to remove the integrated phone from the equation? Is there a secret way to reset the radio?

Thanks!

TPh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem with 1997 S420

I tried pulling the fuses and waiting, then re-entered code, but came back to "Phone" and I can't seem to get ride of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem with 1997 S420

I tried pulling the fuses and waiting, then re-entered code, but came back to "Phone" and I can't seem to get ride of it.

Anyone out there to help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Tom Ph and aztntrunner,

I just bought a 98 E320 Wagon and joined the Benz Forum.

I also removed the old Nokia phone handsfree unit.

Now I am having the same problem with it, when I turn on the radio it shows the station for 2 seconds then switches to "Phone".

It also wont play tapes or CD's or the radio.

Were either of you able to solve the problem or does anyone on the site have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Greg

·
Administrator
868 Posts
Greg, when I bought my 1998 SL500 it was fitted with the Old Nokia phone cradle.
Rather than rip it all out I bought a Cark-91 adaptor that sits in the old Nokia cradle.
It connects to my mobile/cell phone with it's bluetooth link, just as if the phone is sitting in the cradle instead of my pocket. All of the hands free options are unaffected as well as the Radio/CD muting during calls.

This is what it looks like (this is not my car BTW)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Redliner,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Unfortunately the way they installed the cradle it hits the passengers knees so I had to remove it and I had to cut the wiring harness of the phone to get it out.

I stopped by Nick's Mercedes repair here in San Diego (OUTSTANDING SERVICE FROM THEM, great group of people I highly recommend!) :)

Jim pulled the radio out for me with the 2 keys and I can see where the aftermarket connections were made so I am going to start by removing them to see if that helps.

Thanks again for posting the reply, I appreciate it.

Best regards,

Greg

·
Administrator
868 Posts
Thanks for the update Greg, please post in again with details when you make the final fix, I'm sure it will help others who encounter the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Redliner,

I figured out and solved the problem.

Once I was able to slide the radio out of the dash, I found that the Nokia phone also uses a "control box" that mux's the speaker, mic, power, gnd and control lines.

Some of the new lines attach to the main wiring harness at the back of the radio.

Once I removed all of the lines, connectors and the box the radio now works correctly.

Mystery solved!

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts