Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first accident in 30 years of driving!

My car was rear ended today. It was at a stop in the middle lane of a hiway. Someone behind me didn't stop in time. Ugh.

Nothing appears broken. I have a minor head ache and my teeth hurt a little. Both are unusual.

I called the police about the accident and they say they don’t bother unless called to the scene.

I called my insurance and they say I should contact the other guys’ insurance, and did I contact the police?

WTF?

Is there an order of operation for what comes first? And then next....?

·
Banned
357 Posts
Call the police get a police report then I don't know were a no fault state so we don't mess around with that BS.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Welcome to the club. Almost 15 years without an accident, now two in the last two monhs. Definately contact local law, they may or may not get involved (again, depending on your state). I'm sorry you have to deal with this. After putting up with the insurance company BS for a month straight, the last thing I want to do is deal with it again. Alas, this is my lot in life. I wish you the best in getting this resolved; these inceidents are such a PIA these days. I swear there has to be some internal memo that all insurance companies have sent to their employees stating that they must make every step of the claims process as difficult as possible to disuade all but the most adament of people looking to make said claim. If they give you any crap, tell them you've been having headaches and dizzy spells and you need to see a medical professional. Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments! After 2 days, no residual discomfort and no external signs of damage to the mighty 400, so rather than a guaranteed course of anxiety and frustration i'm just gonna let it go. Except i admit to feeling a teeny anxious when i see someone in the rear view closing me.

But I gotta ask, for those of you who have been in an accident, and hopefully one where you and no one else ended up in the hospital, was it an adrenalin rush or what? What did you think about in the first few days following the accident?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been in quite a few accidents (years back). I was always overwhelmed by the power of that much weight meeting up and my helplessness to do anything about it. Make sense? I don't know how to describe it, really.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The first few days after the CLK 55 was totalled, all I thought about was how I couldn't get out of bed as my back was so stiff. I sort of kept replaying the whole incident, as it all seemed to happen so slowly when it actually occured. I remember thinking, this idiot isn't going to try and turn in front of me...I'm going to hit this guy...Oh my God, I hope this guy's ok. I jumped out of my car almost right away, no pain or stiffness at that time. I checked to see if the other driver was ok, and when I turned around, I saw a huge puddle of oil and coolant underneath my car, which was smashed all the way up to the windshield. I didn't realize how bad the crash was until I actually saw the mess that once was my car. It's weird, as even though I was in shock, all I could think about after that was how I needed to get to my office, as I had a few early appointments. Neither rain, nor sleet, nor totalled W208....

·
Registered
18 Posts
alias said:
Thanks for the comments! After 2 days, no residual discomfort and no external signs of damage to the mighty 400, so rather than a guaranteed course of anxiety and frustration i'm just gonna let it go. Except i admit to feeling a teeny anxious when i see someone in the rear view closing me.

But I gotta ask, for those of you who have been in an accident, and hopefully one where you and no one else ended up in the hospital, was it an adrenalin rush or what? What did you think about in the first few days following the accident?
Glad to hear you are not suffering any residuals. To your latter question regarding the adrenaline rush, you should go rent 1996's sleeper hit (pun intended), Crash, with Holly Hunter. The basic premise is that some people deliberately get in huge accidents in order to get sexually aroused. I guess all the other plots were taken?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts