Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Guys!
I am one week away from bringing home my first ever diesel vehicle and I'm really excited! It will be my third auto purchase off eBay and I pray it goes as nice and smooth as the other two did! I live in SW Ohio and will be flying to FL to drive it home. Car checks out to be a one owner 1985 300DT with 217K miles and no rust to speak of at all (according to the owner's description as well as the many pictures I have seen).

My greatest concern of course is getting this car home safely without any problems, since I will be doing most of my driving on the weekend! What are some of the things that COULD/MIGHT go wrong and what can I do before leaving to help prevent it? I am aware of two items that need attention: one is the cruise control is not working and also the high beam position of the headlights will not go away and return to the low beam. Any suggestions on these? Thanks for your thoughts and I will be visiting this site often as it has a wealth of information available!

Dale
300DT

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good luck with your diesel acquisition. One thing I would suggest is that you purchase a set of fuel filters for the car. They can come in handy should you have a problem (not an easy item to find on the road). A clogged fuel filter can put you on the side of the road. You might also want to change the oil before making the trip. Beyond that I don't have anything more to offer. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ajcrowe said:
Good luck with your diesel acquisition. One thing I would suggest is that you purchase a set of fuel filters for the car. They can come in handy should you have a problem (not an easy item to find on the road). A clogged fuel filter can put you on the side of the road. You might also want to change the oil before making the trip. Beyond that I don't have anything more to offer. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the reply! I'll certainly take your advice and make sure they are fresh and that the oil is fresh. I'll keep you informed as to the venture back north!

300DT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I made it back today! The trip went very well as far as the car's dependability!

Now an update on the car. It is indeed "rust free". The paint is pretty nice on all the vertical areas but the hood, top and deck lid are somewhat faded. My nephew believes it will polish out though. The engine compartment is extremely clean as well as the engine itself. It has obviously been taken good care of throughtout its life to date. My greatest disappointment has got to be how SLUGGISH this hunk of metal is getting it to roll!!! I was told by a friend of mine before purchasing that (in his words) "..you pretty much drive them (diesels) pedal-to-the-metal..."! I thought when he said that that he was just being a little dramatic so I didn't heed his statement. The throttle must travel three fourths of the way to the floor (REALLY) before it starts to roll and then I have to almost stand on it to get it going! THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT!?!?!

Interior needs some attention to a couple or few things to make it nice(er) such as: First aid box cover has just disintegrated and needs replaced; wood piece on dash closest to passenger door needs replaced; glove box door latch needs new spring mechanism or such so it will latch on its own instead of manually having to fasten it; the BIGGIE for me is the driver's seat needs rebuilt as the previous butt/body "print" definitely does not come close to matching mine! It was pretty uncomfortable traveling as far as I did. No tears or noticable wear on the seats; headliner is nice; sunroof works well; clock does not; the guages cluster housing lens has a crack in it and should in my opinion be replaced.

ANYway, I will insert a picture possibly in the next few days if interested and please feel free to "advise" on the things I have mentioned above if you care to. Any suggestions on it would be appreciated!

300DT

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sluggish 300DT

Hi Dale: I am surprised at the "sliggishness" of your 300DT. I have had three of them, same year (one was stolen, now I honly have two), so I have some questions (or thoughts) for you.
What kind of car were you driving before the 300DT?? If it was a Lamborghini it would not be a fair comparison!!

Jokes aside, do you let the engine warm up sufficiently?? What is the engine temperature?? You might have to change the thermostat.
After the engine has warmed up, do you see any smoke coming out of the tailpipe?? If you do in a noticeable way you might have a problem with the compression. Also make sure that your fuel lines are clog free and eventually replace the fuel filters (both of them). Does your turbo kick in??

Any and all of these problems could result in sluggishness of the car.

Good luck

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts