Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, and not very mechanically inclined. I've learned a lot from prior posts in this form. I hope for some help in purchasing my second diesel.

I own an '87 300D. I didn't know what I was buying when I got it; I just wanted a Benz. I've had it four years, and it has 220k on it (bought it with 107k). My kid drives it.

I really want a 300SD on a 116 chassis, and there are some out there. But if there is a reason to get a 126 instead, I'd reconsider. And if there is a reason to get the 126 instead, l'd rather have and '86-'87 SDL, just because I want the bigger car, all other things being equal. I know to stay away from the 350SDL.

I am aware of the cylinder head problem in the later cars. How do I find the part number to see if it has been replaced? I am also aware of the trap oxidizer problem in the '87 (I didn't know about it when I bought my 300D, but it had already been replaced, so I got lucky).

I have other questions about my '87, but will save them for later. Thanx for your help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
First, welcome to the BenzForum community. :D I have owned a '87 300D, car was a total when someone hit my wife while stopped at a red light. I now own a 1980 300SD and love the car.

The W116 was only made in 1978-80. The things to look out for are first any rust. This is a great car with lots of room and is a good highway car. The body is prone to have some rust issues, so I would advise to look that over carefully. Other common issues is the seat padding, especially the rear seat. If the seats are in good shape then it is likely the horsehair pads were replaced. Look for water leaks around the front and rear windshields. This can be related to some of the rust problems. With this age car the rubber seals become brittle and leak. Other than that you would need to check the usual things when buying any older diesel. Good luck and let us know if you find that perfect W116.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts